Nov 4, 2010, 12:04 PM EDT
Cubs fans envisioning Jayson Werth or Adam Dunn in the fold can put those thoughts to rest, it seems, because according to the Sun-Times, Jim Hendry isn’t thinking that big:
With a payroll budget that figures to leave little room for big-shot free agents, indications are that general manager Jim Hendry is focusing more on the likes of lefty-hitting Nick Johnson — if the medicals look good enough — for first base and is keeping an eye on former Cub Kerry Wood’s status for a possible bullpen job.
Kerry Wood would be a feel-good thing, I suppose, but the Cubs don’t exactly need him with Carlos Marmol hanging around. And after his successful stint with New York, you figure that Wood would want to close, um, woodn’t you? As for Nick Johnson: I defended him just as long if not longer than anyone, but at this point, anyone who thinks he’s going to hold up as a starting first baseman probably needs his head examined.
Ultimately the big issue in Chicago is money. As in, they lost with a $145 million payroll in 2010, and Mr. Ricketts wants to cut it back some. With Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Zambrano, Aramis Ramirez, Kosuke Fukudome and Ryan Demptser under contract to the tune of nearly $80 million for next year alone, there’s not going to be a lot of room to improve the roster via free agency.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 34
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 9
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)