Nov 4, 2010, 12:04 PM EST
Cubs fans envisioning Jayson Werth or Adam Dunn in the fold can put those thoughts to rest, it seems, because according to the Sun-Times, Jim Hendry isn’t thinking that big:
With a payroll budget that figures to leave little room for big-shot free agents, indications are that general manager Jim Hendry is focusing more on the likes of lefty-hitting Nick Johnson — if the medicals look good enough — for first base and is keeping an eye on former Cub Kerry Wood’s status for a possible bullpen job.
Kerry Wood would be a feel-good thing, I suppose, but the Cubs don’t exactly need him with Carlos Marmol hanging around. And after his successful stint with New York, you figure that Wood would want to close, um, woodn’t you? As for Nick Johnson: I defended him just as long if not longer than anyone, but at this point, anyone who thinks he’s going to hold up as a starting first baseman probably needs his head examined.
Ultimately the big issue in Chicago is money. As in, they lost with a $145 million payroll in 2010, and Mr. Ricketts wants to cut it back some. With Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Zambrano, Aramis Ramirez, Kosuke Fukudome and Ryan Demptser under contract to the tune of nearly $80 million for next year alone, there’s not going to be a lot of room to improve the roster via free agency.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)