The Giants had a big parade

Nov 4, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT

San Francisco Giants Victory Parade Getty Images

The Giants had their victory parade in San Francisco, and it seemed pretty nuts by victory parade standards.  It’s always hard to estimate this stuff — and estimates always seem to err on the ridiculously high side — but the Chronicle said that hundreds of thousands lined the parade route. Random tweets and things from people I know in the bay area suggested that this parade tied up San Francisco in ways a lot of other cities don’t get tied up by such things, but again, maybe that’s just a function of bridges or geography or something.

But who cares how many were there? Onlookers seemed to have fun, as did the Giants.  There’s a large photo gallery of the thing here, and that’s probably a better way to get a sense of it than having me try to explain it.

1. mangothefruit - Nov 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Photo 74: Peter Magowan’s wife looks disturbingly like Tim Lincecum.

• mangothefruit - Nov 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM

and his daughter too for that matter. I want to see Lincecum in that car.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM

That probably is Tim’s car. Man didn’t you guys see “Boys in da hood”. “Rollin’ in a 6-4″ sippin’ on Gin and Juice, smokin’ trees”. That looks like a pretty nice 64 Impala. Pretty nice. The sides are kinda wavy, but it really joins the fun in a parade. How often does a car wave back atcha?

2. joepags - Nov 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM

they still had sidewalk space???!?!??!!? what a waste of WS parade!!!

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Please tell me Wilson fully plans on shaving his soul sucking beard. At the least, let’s hope he stops dying it black… I just hope the black beard doesn’t become “his thing”. I have to tell you though, this is one very likable group if you count out that dirty sanchez……..

4. apbaguy - Nov 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM

No comments on Huff’s rally thong?

Anyway, Jonny, please tell Utley’s Hair that he can get some Giant’s parade confetti on ebay…

My buddy was downtown for the whole show yesterday. Got their early, etc. He’s the real Giants fan. He’s from DC so has seen some big crowds before. He had the estimate at 300,000 along the entire parade route. With unemployment at 12.5% in CA you’d think we could do better, but the route was short, just ballpark to Civic Center, about a 15 minute leisurely walk up the Embarcadero.

All you northeastern residents: note the weather. It’s like that all the time here, which is why it’s so crowded. 78 and no clouds. Gorgeous.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I hate rally thongs when they’re worn by men…….. Utley only wants red white and blue confetti in his hair btw…..

5. solidzac - Nov 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM

For all the fuss Californians make over the weather, I’d personally hate not having seasons. It’s been a little too cold for my tastes, but what’s life without a gorgeous northeastern autumn?

• IdahoMariner - Nov 4, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Nah…. While I am currently surrounded by a riot of gorgeous fall color on the trees here in Idaho, taking lots of pictures by the river and generally falling into a lot of conversations with people about the gorgeous leaves…. as a born and bred Californian, I can say California does indeed have seasons. They just aren’t quite as obvious as the Northeastern ones. (which are gorgeous, don’t get me wrong. Gorgeous.) In California, you notice the quality of light, on the coast you notice the way the light hits the water, you can feel a shift in temperature, definitely…the trees do change (I have many memories of raking up leaves). It’s just that, instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop on this gorgeous, warm (63 degree) and sunny weather here in Idaho (because it ain’t gonna last, and then we will be freezing our tukuses off), when I lived in California I could enjoy the change of seasons without lamenting that I wasn’t going to get to play tennis, baseball or volleyball until spring. I miss that. And those pics of SF downtown…awesome.

6. solidzac - Nov 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM

It can’t simply be that the change is more gradual – if people are to be believed (I’ve never been to California), there is no change. I guess “winter” is a relative term, but when Californian friends of mine are complaining about 50 degree weather in February, sorry, but that ain’t winter.

• solidzac - Nov 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Wow, I suck at replying instead of making a new comment, apparently.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3522)