Nov 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Mets attendance went way down in 2010, and the team has reacted: they’ve lowered ticket prices. Season tickets are a flat 10% off. Given how many categories of tickets any given ballpark has it’s complicated beyond that — big cuts for some categories of seats, slight increases for others — but the team says that prices are going down 14% on average.
This is all Byzantine stuff to me — I don’t know the difference between a “Promenade Reserve,” a “Promenade Reserve Infield” and a “Promenade Reserve Infield Select Extra Crispy” — but you have to applaud the Mets for understanding that, if you want to get more butts in the seats for a team that isn’t all that hot, you have to lower the prices.
I think the most interesting thing about this is that Dave Howard, the Mets’ Executive Vice President for Business Operations, held a conference call exclusively for Mets bloggers yesterday to answer questions and address concerns about the price changes. You can read a writeup of this by Caryn Rose (a/k/a Metsgrrl) here. That’s smart outreach to go beyond merely answering questions of the newspapers. After all: the newspaper guys will report your press release pretty straight up. Bloggers are often season ticket holders too, however, and if they think they’re getting played, they’ll not hesitate to go after you. Transparency is essential when it comes to this sort of thing.
Oh, Caryn also has a list of the perks that season ticket holders who renew early will get (it’s at the end of her post of the Howard call). Not a bad list. I’d totally love to bring out the lineup card to the umpires one day. If a Mets season ticket holder was doing this last Opening Day you can bet that they would have changed it so Mike Jacobs wouldn’t be batting cleanup.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 1
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 29
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)