Nov 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Mets attendance went way down in 2010, and the team has reacted: they’ve lowered ticket prices. Season tickets are a flat 10% off. Given how many categories of tickets any given ballpark has it’s complicated beyond that — big cuts for some categories of seats, slight increases for others — but the team says that prices are going down 14% on average.
This is all Byzantine stuff to me — I don’t know the difference between a “Promenade Reserve,” a “Promenade Reserve Infield” and a “Promenade Reserve Infield Select Extra Crispy” — but you have to applaud the Mets for understanding that, if you want to get more butts in the seats for a team that isn’t all that hot, you have to lower the prices.
I think the most interesting thing about this is that Dave Howard, the Mets’ Executive Vice President for Business Operations, held a conference call exclusively for Mets bloggers yesterday to answer questions and address concerns about the price changes. You can read a writeup of this by Caryn Rose (a/k/a Metsgrrl) here. That’s smart outreach to go beyond merely answering questions of the newspapers. After all: the newspaper guys will report your press release pretty straight up. Bloggers are often season ticket holders too, however, and if they think they’re getting played, they’ll not hesitate to go after you. Transparency is essential when it comes to this sort of thing.
Oh, Caryn also has a list of the perks that season ticket holders who renew early will get (it’s at the end of her post of the Howard call). Not a bad list. I’d totally love to bring out the lineup card to the umpires one day. If a Mets season ticket holder was doing this last Opening Day you can bet that they would have changed it so Mike Jacobs wouldn’t be batting cleanup.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)