Nov 4, 2010, 5:41 PM EST
UPDATE: Well, we have an update now: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York times reports that Mets clubhouse manager Charlie Samuels was suspended — and will likely be fired — because he has been tied to a federal investigation into illegal gambling. The gambling involves football, naturally. And you thought the only crime that happened in that clubhouse was father-in-law assault.
No other details are provided. Including the details of how Schmidt gets so many federal lawyers to talk to him about ongoing investigations. Seriously, he’s The Man when it comes to that stuff.
4:01 P.M.: I’m not sure why this has been picked up by every news outlet out there, but it has:
Longtime Mets equipment/clubhouse manager Charlie Samuels has been suspended by the organization, the Mets confirmed. The organization offered no elaboration beyond the following statement: “Last Wednesday, the Mets suspended Charlie Samuels indefinitely without pay. As this is an ongoing personnel matter, we have no further comment.”
Samuels has held the job for 27 years.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (326)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)