Nov 4, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, we have an update now: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York times reports that Mets clubhouse manager Charlie Samuels was suspended — and will likely be fired — because he has been tied to a federal investigation into illegal gambling. The gambling involves football, naturally. And you thought the only crime that happened in that clubhouse was father-in-law assault.
No other details are provided. Including the details of how Schmidt gets so many federal lawyers to talk to him about ongoing investigations. Seriously, he’s The Man when it comes to that stuff.
4:01 P.M.: I’m not sure why this has been picked up by every news outlet out there, but it has:
Longtime Mets equipment/clubhouse manager Charlie Samuels has been suspended by the organization, the Mets confirmed. The organization offered no elaboration beyond the following statement: “Last Wednesday, the Mets suspended Charlie Samuels indefinitely without pay. As this is an ongoing personnel matter, we have no further comment.”
Samuels has held the job for 27 years.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)