Nov 4, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
Most people would consider it awesome when someone gives them $12.5 million, but I wonder if David Ortiz will feel that way. We’ll know soon, because the Red Sox just picked up his option for 2011. This after comments in the press in which he made it clear that he’d prefer a multi-year deal.
Of course if you’re Boston, this makes total sense. Ortiz had a good year last year but he could crater at any moment, just like any big slugger could. And of course, he’s had long stretches of poor performance these past two seasons, which could be a harbinger of such a cratering. Why on Earth would they go longer than one year? And while $12.5 million is a bit more than the going rate for a DH these days, if they refused to exercise the option, there would likely be a ton of teams willing to take a chance on a one year deal with Big Papi, on the theory that he could be their Jim Thome. Or better.
So: Ortiz gets a bit more than he’s probably worth, and the Red Sox have one less thing they need to worry about this winter. Sounds great.
So, why then, do I think this will lead to some trouble soon?
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)