The Red Sox exercise David Ortiz’s 2011 option

Nov 4, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

Ortiz home run swing

Most people would consider it awesome when someone gives them $12.5 million, but I wonder if David Ortiz will feel that way.  We’ll know soon, because the Red Sox just picked up his option for 2011.  This after comments in the press in which he made it clear that he’d prefer a multi-year deal.

Of course if you’re Boston, this makes total sense. Ortiz had a good year last year but he could crater at any moment, just like any big slugger could. And of course, he’s had long stretches of poor performance these past two seasons, which could be a harbinger of such a cratering. Why on Earth would they go longer than one year?  And while $12.5 million is a bit more than the going rate for a DH these days, if they refused to exercise the option, there would likely be a ton of teams willing to take a chance on a one year deal with Big Papi, on the theory that he could be their Jim Thome.  Or better.

So: Ortiz gets a bit more than he’s probably worth, and the Red Sox have one less thing they need to worry about this winter. Sounds great.

So, why then, do I think this will lead to some trouble soon?

1. pisano - Nov 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM

All I can say is he’s a lucky man .I didn’t think he had a chance at that 12.5 mil one yr. contract . I’ll bet Theo is holding his breath on this one . His bat has slowed down and he’s striking out on fastballs that he used to put into orbit . Time will tell , but he had to figure he wasn’t getting a multi yr. contract , afterall they’re not stupid in the Sox organization.

2. thinman61 - Nov 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

*So, why then, do I think this will lead to some trouble soon?*

Because this is Boston, where Mazz and Shaughnessy are always around to stir up trouble?

• bigharold - Nov 5, 2010 at 2:27 AM

And, because as noted and evidenced by his last two Aprils, he could go belly up for good any minute now.

And, more importantly, he’s likely going to be the one to start the trouble. He’s already said that he wants a multi year deal and thinks he deserves it.

Let the good times roll!

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Man, they coulda had Vlad for much less $$$$. Big pappi is lucky they like him that much. Between the two, for less $$$? I think Vlad is the better option, but I’m just speculatin’

• Ari Collins - Nov 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Prolly coulda got Vlad for less (or Big Papi for less, for that matter), but Papi OPS’d a significant 58 points higher on the season and a significanter 105 points in the second half. (Not counting Vlad’s 59 postseason ABs, in which he “hit” .220/.242/.271.)

Didja know that Vlad’s only 9 months older than Ortiz? Too bad the Twins didn’t give David a chance sooner.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Yeah, Pappi has been more productive this season… I have a man crush on Vlad though… I don’t know….. I’d say here’s another crapshoot, go with what you know, right.. I’m not surprised by it one bit. I still think Vlad has more in the tank than pappi does, but I’m not exactly unbiased here. With my man crush and all.

• mcsnide - Nov 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM

This is Theo’s version of the ridiculous contract the Yankees will giftwrap for Jeter at some point this year. Way too much money for a still-productive, but not exactly great player who is beloved by fans. If Ortiz is smart, he shuts up, plays hard, and tries to work out a Wakefield-type deal going forward.

• thinman61 - Nov 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

The difference being Theo is overpaying Ortiz for one year. Cashman will be overpaying Jeter for multiple.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5191)