Nov 5, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
There’s a story in the Wall Street Journal today talking about how municipalities are less eager to fund ballpark projects now than they used to be. Convenient, I guess, in that nearly every major league and AAA baseball team in America has gotten a new park in the last 20 years or so, but whatever.
The counterexample is that spring training complex voters just approved for the Cubs in Mesa, Arizona. Nice quote from the the Mesa City Manager defending the spending priority:
City Manager Christopher Brady said the Cubs bring $130 million annually to Arizona, drawing fans who then spend money on hotels and rental cars.
“If we put money into, say, a fire department, it would be gone,” he said. “This way we leverage the investment.”
No reaction quote from the Mesa Fire Department on that one, surprisingly enough. But then again, maybe they’re slaves to the quaint notion that a municipality’s primary purpose is to provide basic services like police and fire protection, schools, libraries, utilities and the like to their citizens and don’t understand just how important it is to build a training facility for an Illinois-based corporation worth three quarters of a billion dollars.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games