Blue Jays trade for Miguel Olivo … and decline his 2011 option

Nov 5, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT

Miguel Olivo

Last night the Blue Jays traded a player to be named later to the Rockies for catcher Miguel Olivo, and then less than two hours later they made Olivo a free agent by declining his $2.5 million option for 2011.

That may sound crazy considering Toronto had to pay Olivo a $500,000 buyout, but as Jordan Bastian of MLB.com explains it was actually a pretty shrewd move by general manager Alex Anthopoulos.

Olivo is a Type B free agent, which means the Blue Jays are now in line to receive a compensatory draft pick if he declines their offer of arbitration and signs elsewhere. Assuming that happens, they basically just bought a draft pick between the first and second rounds for $500,000 and a PTBNL.

1. BC - Nov 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

What if he accepts arbitration? Would he? Unsure….

• proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM

There seem to be several teams who need catchers. I doubt that he would accept arbitration.

• Mark - Nov 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Can’t see him accepting arb. He had a pretty good year for a catcher and the only real competition is Buck & V-Mart. He’d be crazy to take a one year deal.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

The Jays had a lot of picks in the sandwich round this year and they want to accumulate more next year. Buck, Gregg, Downs and Frasor would all bring draft picks if they sign elsewhere. The jays are looking at a potential haul of 5 sandwich round picks. Both Downs and Frasor will bring 2 picks if they sign elsewhere, although, I doubt that anyone would give up a first round pick for Frasor.

3. Old Gator - Nov 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Great move by the Feather Lice. One of the spirits with whom I regularly play Ouija Scrabble told me this was coming a week ago.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM

You were in communication with the spirits? I thought that you were either in hibernation or possibly enjoying breeding season.

• Old Gator - Nov 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Yeah, down here in the tropics breeding season goes on all year. It’s enough to give you REM deprivation. We don’t live as long because we don’t sleep much, but we die smiling.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM

He’s talking to the spirits to have some sort of hex placed on Marco Rubio.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Any of those spirits named Jack Daniels or Jim Beam—or Mary Jane?

• Charles Gates - Nov 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I would have thought Gator was MIA as a result of that article suggesting that the Feesh were going to trade their EYP Stanton to the ChiSox for Ozzie Guillen. I envisioned him reading it, then going to his pit viper collection, selecting one that looked as pissed off as he was, and letting it bite him in the eye.

4. Old Gator - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I have only one pit viper: my adorable baby pygmy rattler, Friendo. I do not collect elapids; I may be crazy but I’m not stupid. I’d love a gaboon viper – what kid wouldn’t love a gaboon viper? – but fangs a third of an inch long and a venom squirt twice the volume of my minoxidil eyedropper and more spreading factor than Kirstie Alley’s nates have what we used to call a deterrent effect.

• Old Gator - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Aside from which, when Friendo hisses and rattles I understand him perfectly. That more than makes up for having to listen to a press conference with Ozzie.

• JBerardi - Nov 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I guess you’ve picked the one right snake, then. How not-foolish of you…

Three legends off to Cooperstown