Nov 5, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Justin Morneau sat out the final three months of the regular season after suffering a concussion on July 7. He started working out and taking batting practice in September, leading to some optimism that he could come back for the playoffs, but those hopes were quickly dashed when the post-concussion symptoms returned and he was shut down again.
General manager Bill Smith said earlier this week that Morneau was feeling better but hadn’t resumed working out yet, and today the former MVP gave Kelly Thesier of MLB.com a first-hand update on his status:
For the people that want to know how I’m doing, there is nothing really new to report. I’m feeling a lot better but I haven’t really done much so it’s still hard to tell. There’s no reason to start working out yet. Normally I would start my workouts between Nov. 1 and 15th so I’m not behind schedule at all. I expect to be ready and 100 percent well before spring training.
Until he can work out for multiple days in a row without any of the symptoms returning Morneau will remain a huge question mark for 2011 and beyond, and unfortunately so far he hasn’t been able to do that yet four months after the concussion.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)