Nov 5, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
MLB recently granted an extension for the Mets to come to terms on a new contract with Hisanori Takahashi, but David Waldstein of the New York Times reported late this afternoon that the two sides were unable to reach a deal.
Takahashi just confirmed the report in a statement from his new agent Arn Tellem (via Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com).
“Unfortunately, the Mets and I were not able to reach an agreement prior to the expiration of our negotiating deadline,” Takahashi said in a statement released by his agent. “I am grateful to the Mets for the opportunity to start my Major League Baseball career with such a great franchise. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in New York City and want to thank all the Mets fans for their support. I am now looking forward to exploring my options as a free agent.
Because of a clause in Takahashi’s original contract with the club, the left-hander will be granted his release tomorrow. Per MLB rules, he is unable to re-sign with the Mets until May 15, which all but guarantees that he will end up elsewhere.
As Aaron wrote earlier today, Takahashi was hoping to land a three-year contract worth around $5 million per season, but the Mets were only willing to guarantee one year.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)