Nov 5, 2010, 8:01 PM EST
MLB recently granted an extension for the Mets to come to terms on a new contract with Hisanori Takahashi, but David Waldstein of the New York Times reported late this afternoon that the two sides were unable to reach a deal.
Takahashi just confirmed the report in a statement from his new agent Arn Tellem (via Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com).
“Unfortunately, the Mets and I were not able to reach an agreement prior to the expiration of our negotiating deadline,” Takahashi said in a statement released by his agent. “I am grateful to the Mets for the opportunity to start my Major League Baseball career with such a great franchise. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in New York City and want to thank all the Mets fans for their support. I am now looking forward to exploring my options as a free agent.
Because of a clause in Takahashi’s original contract with the club, the left-hander will be granted his release tomorrow. Per MLB rules, he is unable to re-sign with the Mets until May 15, which all but guarantees that he will end up elsewhere.
As Aaron wrote earlier today, Takahashi was hoping to land a three-year contract worth around $5 million per season, but the Mets were only willing to guarantee one year.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 43
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)