Nov 5, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal’s latest column speculating on the Yankees’ plans this winter:
One rival GM actually believes the Yankees’ rather public obsession with Lee is a ruse, that they secretly want Tampa Bay Rays free-agent outfielder Carl Crawford, 29, instead.
There is zero evidence, mind you, to support such a contention. The Yankees love left fielder Brett Gardner and would be forced to scramble for starting pitching if they lost Lee to another club and Andy Pettitte to retirement.
I’d kill to know who this “rival GM” is that has so seriously misapprehended the Yankees offseason intentions. I mean, I’m not saying that there won’t be some random rumor matching the Yankees up with Crawford between now and next spring, but to think that the Yankees interest in Cliff Lee is a “ruse” is kinda crazy, no?
And maybe they lose him to someone else. But if the Yankees aren’t seriously interested in Cliff Lee, I’ll eat my hat.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)