Nov 5, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal’s latest column speculating on the Yankees’ plans this winter:
One rival GM actually believes the Yankees’ rather public obsession with Lee is a ruse, that they secretly want Tampa Bay Rays free-agent outfielder Carl Crawford, 29, instead.
There is zero evidence, mind you, to support such a contention. The Yankees love left fielder Brett Gardner and would be forced to scramble for starting pitching if they lost Lee to another club and Andy Pettitte to retirement.
I’d kill to know who this “rival GM” is that has so seriously misapprehended the Yankees offseason intentions. I mean, I’m not saying that there won’t be some random rumor matching the Yankees up with Crawford between now and next spring, but to think that the Yankees interest in Cliff Lee is a “ruse” is kinda crazy, no?
And maybe they lose him to someone else. But if the Yankees aren’t seriously interested in Cliff Lee, I’ll eat my hat.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 1
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)