Some team needs to fire their GM

Nov 5, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT

Lee-cliff-101031

From Ken Rosenthal’s latest column speculating on the Yankees’ plans this winter:

One rival GM actually believes the Yankees’ rather public obsession with Lee is a ruse, that they secretly want Tampa Bay Rays free-agent outfielder Carl Crawford, 29, instead.

There is zero evidence, mind you, to support such a contention. The Yankees love left fielder Brett Gardner and would be forced to scramble for starting pitching if they lost Lee to another club and Andy Pettitte to retirement.

I’d kill to know who this “rival GM” is that has so seriously misapprehended the Yankees offseason intentions.  I mean, I’m not saying that there won’t be some random rumor matching the Yankees up with Crawford between now and next spring, but to think that the Yankees interest in Cliff Lee is a “ruse” is kinda crazy, no?

And maybe they lose him to someone else. But if the Yankees aren’t seriously interested in Cliff Lee, I’ll eat my hat.

1. BC - Nov 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM

First its the “mystery team”, now its the “mystery GM”.
    What’s next, the “mystery batboy”?

2. sdelmonte - Nov 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Dayton? Is that you?

3. Utley's Hair - Nov 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM

“But if the Yankees aren’t seriously interested in Cliff Lee, I’ll eat my hat.”

Would that be the Dwarves hat you promised to wear all offseason? And wouldn’t that be considered a breach of a verbal contract?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I think that the hat will survive quite nicely.

4. cintiphil - Nov 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Any team with a desperate need of pitching and Yankee dollars would be interested in Lee. Who are they kidding? And,,,, who are all the teams which have to fire the GM???

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 5, 2010 at 4:07 PM

“But if the Yankees aren’t seriously interested in Cliff Lee, I’ll eat my hat.”

And from a bald man. That’s a serious show of confidence. Maybe even a dash of strong fortitude showing through as well.

6. pisano - Nov 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Gee , you don’t think the secret GM would be Theo of the Red Sox do you ? But getting back to Crawford , I don’t think they are overwhelmed with him . I think they feel he doesn’t hit lefthanded pitching as well as they would like .They already have Granderson who is weak against lefties . You can bet they’re after Lee in a big way . It’s up to Lee if he comes to NY , because money won’t be a issue for the Yankees .

7. crankyfrankie - Nov 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I think the mystery GM is an agent posing as a GM. That is the mystery part!

8. marcelb89 - Nov 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Andy McPhail

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2479)