Nov 5, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
The air is crisp, the leaves are turning and Scott Boras is busy talking up his clients. All is right with the world.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Boras said he has already heard some early interest in his client Magglio Ordonez.
“We’ve gotten a lot of early calls,” Boras said. “I think with this marketplace, the right-handed hitters of that ilk, like Magglio, there’s going to be a very strong demand for them.”
The Tigers recently declined Ordonez’s $15 million for 2011, making him a free agent. The option would have almost certainly vested due to number of plate appearances, but Ordonez fractured his right ankle on a slide into home plate on July 24 and underwent season-ending surgery at the end of August.
For what it’s worth, Boras doesn’t expect the surgery to have an impact on his client finding a new team.
“I think a lot is being made of a standard fracture, what a lot of orthopedic surgeons say is a minor fracture,” Boras said. “There’s no issue with flexibility, weight bearing, anything like that. It was really just a very simple fracture. It simply took some time to heal. This was not a complicated event. There really will not be any time frame where teams will wait and see if he has any trouble performing.”
Ordonez, who turns 37 in January, batted .303/.378/.474 with 12 home runs, 59 RBI and an 852 OPS in 365 plate appearances this past season.
He has never had the reputation as a defensive whiz to begin with, so the number of National League teams willing to give him a full-time job in right field will probably a bit limited. That being said, Ordonez is still one of the best lefty-killers around, so he makes plenty of sense as a outfielder/DH-type back in the American League, possibly even with the Tigers. Expecting anything more than a one-year deal would probably be pushing it, but this is Scott Boras we are talking about.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)