The Phillies wisely raise ticket prices

Nov 5, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Philadelphia Phillies, Game 1 Getty Images

The opposite side of the Mets “if you stink and don’t draw you must lower ticket prices” argument is the “if you’re good and you sell out game after game you must raise them” argument.  That latter part is the Phillies’ story, as they have announced an across the board ticket price increase.  Tickets are up from $2 to $5 per game. A breakdown of the increases can be seen here.

Fun part: Philly sports blog Crossing Broad is reporting that readers are angry at the increases.  The response is understandable I suppose, but I never cease to be amazed at people’s economic illiteracy.

If you sell out all of your products consistently, it means — unless you believe that not a single soul beyond those who purchased one of your products wants one — you have under-priced your product.  The Phillies aren’t being heartless in raising their prices. They’re simply refusing to leave money sitting on the table.  This is smart business.

1. 12strikes - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Those rat pastards
    If the average increase per seat is $3.40, and they sell 43000 seats, 81 games a year that is 11.2 MILLION dollars for the season.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM

He’s Werth it!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Thanks for the laugh, +1 to you sir

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I don’t mind this one bit, as long as they keep Werth, or replace him with a right handed bat that’s as good, which there’s a shortage of. The fact is last season was the most the Phillies ever pulled in on proceeds. This gives them the ability to retain big contract talent, Good example to the opposite is the Rays. Now they plan on raking in even more dough on the backs of their fans, which is fine by me if they keep their end of the unspoken agreement, which in my mind is. “If you come we will build it.” Yeah kinda like that. Now, if the Phillies let him go, with hardly a shell of Werth as his replacement, this raise in tickets is going to piss me off too. In my mind, that’s not keeping your end of the unspoken deal.

3. yankeesfanlen - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Let me think now, doesn’t another team kind of adapt this business plan? Doesn’t come to me now, maybe someone would be kind enough to fill me in…..I’m thinking KC or something……

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Every team subscribes to this plan because they understand Econ 101. Unfortunately many of the idiot sportswriters who follow the team have no clue about economics so they parrot the ridiculous line of “the payroll increased ergo the ticket prices increase”.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Marlins duhhh….. The most profitable team in the sport. ;)

• Utley's Hair - Nov 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Cheapest does not equate to most profitable, you silly, silly robot…

• Jonny 5 - Nov 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

But in the Marlins case this year, that’s exactly what the equasion was. Cheapest did = most profitable. “Believe it or not”

4. cintiphil - Nov 5, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I am not sure about this move at all. If you can’t win with the three ace’s they had this year down the stretch and in the playoff’s, then when will you? I don’t think they will re-sign Werth because of the cost, and they will put the money into the starting staff and a closer. I am a fan of Oswalt, but don’t know how many more years the guy has in him. If the fans don’t see some results for the increased tickets they just may stop attending at some point.

• paul621 - Nov 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM

When will they win? Uh, maybe when the team gets hot in October? Just because this team couldn’t do it this year, it doesn’t mean they couldn’t ever. I still think the 2010 Phillies are a better team than the 2010 Giants, but upsets happen all time.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3629)