Nov 6, 2010, 2:04 PM EDT
2:04 PM: More intrigue from Rosenthal. He tells us that the Athletics also submitted a bid for Iwakuma and that the Rangers’ bid may have actually been too low. According to Rosenthal, the A’s would like to add Iwakuma in order to acquire a hitter from their surplus of starting pitching.
1:15 PM: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rangers may have the highest bid for Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma. Last night, a Japanese media report suggested that the Mariners were the front-runners.
While we still have no official word about who has the highest bid, Rosenthal confirms that the Rangers did indeed make a bid and writes that it’s possible other AL West clubs are involved. Stay tuned.
10:21 AM: Still no confirmation that the Mariners actually have the highest bid for Iwakuma, but Larry Stone of the Seattle Times tells us that the Golden Eagles have until next Thursday to decide whether to accept the winning bid. If they do, the MLB team can begin negotiations with Iwakuma.
Friday, 11:00 PM: Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker tweets that the bidding for Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma has closed, with more than one team submitting a bid. According to MLB Trade Rumors, a report from Sports Hochi says that the Mariners are supposedly in the lead with a bid of $13 million.
Iwakuma’s team, the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, were hoping for a posting fee around $16-17 million and they reserve the right to reject the winning bid.
Many consider Ikakuma to be the second best pitcher in Japan behind Yu Darvish. The 29-year-old right-hander has a 2.82 ERA and 153/36 K/BB ratio over 201 innings this season. He earned the Pacific League MVP when he went 21-4 with a 1.87 ERA in 2008 and turned some heads stateside by posting a 1.35 ERA and 15/6 K/BB ratio over four games (three starts) in the World Baseball Classic last year.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights