Nov 6, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
The Blue Jays declined a pair of options on Kevin Gregg this week, making him a free agent. But with no in-house favorite to close games with Scott Downs and Jason Frasor also poised to hit the free agency, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Robert McLoed of the Globe and Mail that he isn’t ready to dismiss the possibility that Gregg could return next season.
“Like I explained to Kevin last night, we’re not prepared to lock him in right now,” Anthopoulos said. “But we may very well come back to him in two weeks or three weeks from now, after we’ve had a chance to continue to work through the off-season and the market.”
Anthopoulos added that Gregg was “very open” about the possibility of returning to the club.
Gregg, 32, posted a 3.51 ERA, 58/30 K/BB ratio and 37 saves in 43 chances over 59 innings this past season. The Jays gave him a $750,000 buyout this week, which suggests that Anthopoulous didn’t think it was worth it to retain Gregg for $3.75 million next season. He certainly isn’t anything special as far as closers go, but the Jays would do well to revisit the situation if the market dries up.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)