Nov 6, 2010, 4:03 PM EST
Interesting move by the Rays this afternoon, as they have added former 2004 No. 1 overall pick Matt Bush to their 40-man roster, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. Bush, who turns 25 in February, otherwise would have had the right to become a free agent.
Bush, of course, is known as one of the biggest busts in draft history. He was involved in a bar fight before even making his pro debut and batted just .219/.294/.276 over four seasons before trying his luck as a pitcher in 2007. He was picked up by the Blue Jays in February of 2009 after missing the entire 2008 season following Tommy John surgery, but was cut loose after allegedly assaulting some lacrosse players at his old high school. In addition to his extensive legal troubles, he has the unfortunate distinction of joining Brien Taylor and Steve Chilcott as the only former No. 1 picks never to play in the major leagues.
The Rays took a chance by signing Bush to a minor league contract in January. He posted a 3.29 ERA and 20/3 K/BB ratio over 13 2/3 innings between rookie ball and High-A Charlotte this past season, which was apparently impressive enough for him to return for another season. If he manages to end up as a pitcher in the major leagues, great, but turning his life around should still be the No. 1 priority.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)