Nov 6, 2010, 10:06 AM EDT
Last night, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted that he’s “hearing Terry Collins’ name more and more” in regards to the Mets’ managerial vacancy. It sounds like there’s some validity to that notion.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, a person who has talked to Mets officials in recent days believes that Collins is anywhere from “a strong candidate to the front-runner.”
“I think it is possible that all the interviews are just covering bases and they already like Collins the best.”
Mets GM Sandy Alderson is expected to interview Collins in California this weekend. Collins served as the Mets’ minor league field coordinator this past season, but has past managerial experience in the majors, something Alderson is said to value. He was 444-434 (.506) in six seasons managing the Astros and Angels, but hasn’t been a skipper in the big leagues since 1999.
When Alderson was hired last week, he said in his introductory press conference that he wasn’t opposed to hiring a fiery manager. As Sherman points out, many Mets fans took this to mean that Wally Backman was a viable candidate for the job. It’s very possible he could have been talking about Collins.
Collins, now 61, may have mellowed since his last managerial gig in the majors, but as you can see in the picture to the right, he is well known for his fiery, intense style.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)