Nov 6, 2010, 10:06 AM EST
Last night, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted that he’s “hearing Terry Collins’ name more and more” in regards to the Mets’ managerial vacancy. It sounds like there’s some validity to that notion.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, a person who has talked to Mets officials in recent days believes that Collins is anywhere from “a strong candidate to the front-runner.”
“I think it is possible that all the interviews are just covering bases and they already like Collins the best.”
Mets GM Sandy Alderson is expected to interview Collins in California this weekend. Collins served as the Mets’ minor league field coordinator this past season, but has past managerial experience in the majors, something Alderson is said to value. He was 444-434 (.506) in six seasons managing the Astros and Angels, but hasn’t been a skipper in the big leagues since 1999.
When Alderson was hired last week, he said in his introductory press conference that he wasn’t opposed to hiring a fiery manager. As Sherman points out, many Mets fans took this to mean that Wally Backman was a viable candidate for the job. It’s very possible he could have been talking about Collins.
Collins, now 61, may have mellowed since his last managerial gig in the majors, but as you can see in the picture to the right, he is well known for his fiery, intense style.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)