Nov 6, 2010, 10:06 AM EDT
Last night, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted that he’s “hearing Terry Collins’ name more and more” in regards to the Mets’ managerial vacancy. It sounds like there’s some validity to that notion.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, a person who has talked to Mets officials in recent days believes that Collins is anywhere from “a strong candidate to the front-runner.”
“I think it is possible that all the interviews are just covering bases and they already like Collins the best.”
Mets GM Sandy Alderson is expected to interview Collins in California this weekend. Collins served as the Mets’ minor league field coordinator this past season, but has past managerial experience in the majors, something Alderson is said to value. He was 444-434 (.506) in six seasons managing the Astros and Angels, but hasn’t been a skipper in the big leagues since 1999.
When Alderson was hired last week, he said in his introductory press conference that he wasn’t opposed to hiring a fiery manager. As Sherman points out, many Mets fans took this to mean that Wally Backman was a viable candidate for the job. It’s very possible he could have been talking about Collins.
Collins, now 61, may have mellowed since his last managerial gig in the majors, but as you can see in the picture to the right, he is well known for his fiery, intense style.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)