Nov 6, 2010, 10:57 AM EDT
According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, the belief is that Jayson Werth could seek a contract similar to the seven-year, $120 million deal Matt Holliday received from the Cardinals last winter.
Scott Boras stated his new client’s case for big dollars on Friday.
“We have, in my mind, probably the most coveted offensive player in the free-agent market,” Boras said. “Carl Crawford is a really great player, but the truth of the matter is, Werth scores as many runs, and his on-base percentage is the same. Werth is a guy that can play center field and has played center field recently. He’s a Gold Glove-type outfielder. Crawford is, too. But the big difference is that Werth has 87 home runs over the last three years and Crawford has 42. Werth is really a middle-of-the-lineup guy. I think when he bats third, he’ll be a 110-to-120-runs-scored guy and a 100-RBI guy. And I think teams that are looking for a right-handed bat view Werth as a middle-of-the-lineup guy.”
It’s true that Werth has a big advantage over Crawford in the OPS department. He also helps balance a team’s lineup from the right side of the plate. But that’s where the comparison ends. Crawford, 29, is nearly two years younger than the 31-year-old Werth and is arguably the best left fielder in the major leagues. If any player gets a seven-year contract this offseason, it will be Crawford.
As our own Matthew Pouliot mentioned earlier this week, the more realistic benchmark for Werth is the four-year, $66 million contract Jason Bay received from the Mets last winter. For what it’s worth, Pouliot ranked Werth as the No. 3 free agent this offseason and Crawford No. 2.
The Phillies haven’t closed the door on re-signing Werth, but two MLB officials told Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse that the Tigers seem like a likely landing spot. The fun begins in less than 24 hours.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)