Nov 6, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Scott Olsen opted for free agency after he was outrighted to Triple-A Syracuse. The southpaw was arbitration-eligible this winter, so this is essentially an early non-tender.
Olsen has completely fizzled out since compiling a 4.04 ERA and striking out 166 batters over 180 2/3 innings in his rookie season with the Marlins in 2006. He underwent season-ending surgery to repair a torn labrum last August and returned to post a 5.56 ERA and 53/27 K/BB over 17 games (15 starts) this past season.
Olsen spent over two months on the disabled list this season because of soreness and inflammation in his surgically-repaired shoulder and was finally shut down in September. With the health of his shoulder in question, he’ll probably have to settle for a minor league deal this winter.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 6
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)