Penny engaged to Dancing With The Stars’ Karina Smirnoff

Nov 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT

penny and smirnoff play catch

Brad Penny gelled immediately with pitching coach Dave Duncan this year in St. Louis and posted a solid 3.23 ERA and 1.29 WHIP in his first nine starts for the Cardinals, but he went down with a lat injury in late May and never resurfaced due to injury setbacks.

He’s back in the news now, but not for baseball reasons.  According to People Magazine, Penny got engaged recently to longtime girlfriend Karina Smirnoff, one of the more popular professional dancers on ABC’s Dancing With The Stars.

Penny will be a free agent this winter and will probably be seeking an incentive-laden one-year deal like the $7.5 million one that he scored last offseason from St. Louis.  The big right-hander has always been an effective starter when healthy and owns a career 4.11 ERA and 6.27 K/9.

He should be able to find a decent contract in a free agent market that is thin on quality starting pitchers.

Smirnoff, pictured on the right playing catch with Penny, danced this season with Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino from MTV’s Jersey Shore.

1. Old Gator - Nov 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I will not undignify myself with some leering comment about why Brad Penny keeps injuring his back. I haven’t had a back injury in so long that I’ve forgotten how I cause my last one.

• ditto65 - Nov 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I myself found myself laid up for a week after a particularly rewarding weekend in Atlantic City. Oh, the pain…

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I have you guys beat. I tore a muscle in my lower back while putting the propane tank on my grill. Sucker took almost 2 months to fully heal.

2. schmedley69 - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:29 AM

First he dated Alyssa Milano, and now this. Not bad for a guy who looks like Larry The Cable Guy.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM

So did Carl Pavano. Alyssa just seems to have a thing for ex-Marlin peetchers.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:30 AM

AND, she can catch a baseball?

4. BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM

She’s not Drew Barrymore, but I wouldn’t turn her away if she rang my doorbell.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I’d kick Drew Barrymore out of my house for her. She can do, Things……….

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Why stop there? Karl Wallenda must have a few granddaughters out there someplace.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey