Nov 7, 2010, 12:02 AM EST
World Series MVP Edgar Renteria, who weighed retirement during an injury-plagued 2010 season, told ESPN Deportes Saturday that he intends to play next season.
Renteria became a free agent earlier this week when the Giants declined his $10.5 million option for 2011. The 34-year-old enjoyed a mild rebound offensively last season, hitting .276/.332/.374, but he played in just 72 games because of groin, hamstring and elbow problems. He was a major disappointment in his first year with the Giants, as he hit just .250/.307/.328 in 460 at-bats.
Still a viable defensive shortstop, Renteria will probably get a starting job in 2011, though he’s definitely looking at a big paycut. The Giants could invite him back, but he certainly won’t be the same kind of priority that fellow free agent Juan Uribe is.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)