Nov 7, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News put together a piece in Wednesday’s edition chronicling 52 agonizing years of San Francisco Giants fandom. That agony, of course, was broken this year when the Giants defeated the Rangers to win the franchise’s first World Series title since making the move to the Bay Area.
Steward’s piece drew a lot of great reactions from longtime Giants fans and the News’ staff compiled them into a post this afternoon. Here’s a really cool one:
Thanks for Carl Steward’s column this morning.
I’m 60. I read it and wept into my nonfat yogurt. I wept for the litany of failure, and for my recollection of every single moment. I wept for this year’s improbable and sublime triumph. I wept because I have spent so much of my life in pain about a stupid game that gives me so much pleasure.
I didn’t even know how to react when Wilson struck out Nelson Cruz to end the series. I was thrilled, but I knew the real emotion was coming later. Thanks for helping me unleash it.
We won the World Series. I’ve got it. I own it. It’s mine forever.
Check out the others HERE.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)