Nov 7, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News put together a piece in Wednesday’s edition chronicling 52 agonizing years of San Francisco Giants fandom. That agony, of course, was broken this year when the Giants defeated the Rangers to win the franchise’s first World Series title since making the move to the Bay Area.
Steward’s piece drew a lot of great reactions from longtime Giants fans and the News’ staff compiled them into a post this afternoon. Here’s a really cool one:
Thanks for Carl Steward’s column this morning.
I’m 60. I read it and wept into my nonfat yogurt. I wept for the litany of failure, and for my recollection of every single moment. I wept for this year’s improbable and sublime triumph. I wept because I have spent so much of my life in pain about a stupid game that gives me so much pleasure.
I didn’t even know how to react when Wilson struck out Nelson Cruz to end the series. I was thrilled, but I knew the real emotion was coming later. Thanks for helping me unleash it.
We won the World Series. I’ve got it. I own it. It’s mine forever.
Check out the others HERE.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)