Nov 7, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News put together a piece in Wednesday’s edition chronicling 52 agonizing years of San Francisco Giants fandom. That agony, of course, was broken this year when the Giants defeated the Rangers to win the franchise’s first World Series title since making the move to the Bay Area.
Steward’s piece drew a lot of great reactions from longtime Giants fans and the News’ staff compiled them into a post this afternoon. Here’s a really cool one:
Thanks for Carl Steward’s column this morning.
I’m 60. I read it and wept into my nonfat yogurt. I wept for the litany of failure, and for my recollection of every single moment. I wept for this year’s improbable and sublime triumph. I wept because I have spent so much of my life in pain about a stupid game that gives me so much pleasure.
I didn’t even know how to react when Wilson struck out Nelson Cruz to end the series. I was thrilled, but I knew the real emotion was coming later. Thanks for helping me unleash it.
We won the World Series. I’ve got it. I own it. It’s mine forever.
Check out the others HERE.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)