Nov 7, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News put together a piece in Wednesday’s edition chronicling 52 agonizing years of San Francisco Giants fandom. That agony, of course, was broken this year when the Giants defeated the Rangers to win the franchise’s first World Series title since making the move to the Bay Area.
Steward’s piece drew a lot of great reactions from longtime Giants fans and the News’ staff compiled them into a post this afternoon. Here’s a really cool one:
Thanks for Carl Steward’s column this morning.
I’m 60. I read it and wept into my nonfat yogurt. I wept for the litany of failure, and for my recollection of every single moment. I wept for this year’s improbable and sublime triumph. I wept because I have spent so much of my life in pain about a stupid game that gives me so much pleasure.
I didn’t even know how to react when Wilson struck out Nelson Cruz to end the series. I was thrilled, but I knew the real emotion was coming later. Thanks for helping me unleash it.
We won the World Series. I’ve got it. I own it. It’s mine forever.
Check out the others HERE.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)