Be skeptical of “Team X is wary of Scott Boras” articles

Nov 8, 2010, 8:44 AM EDT

Boras sulking AP

During free agency season you often hear a lot of sentences with the clause ” . . . but he’s a Scott Boras client, so . . .”  And it’s a good point to make for free agents, because negotiations with Scott Boras are different. They take longer for one thing, because he almost always advises his client to hold out as long as they can. And of course they’re high dollar deals because Boras represents many of the top players.  MLB Trade Rumors has a separate page listing Boras clients for cryin’ out loud. There’s a reason you have to consider his guys differently than you consider others.

But such concerns can be overstated.  I think Ken Rosenthal overstates them a bit this morning:

Much as certain teams prefer to avoid Boras, it’s difficult when he represents many of the best players. Moreno abruptly pulled out of the Mark Teixeira negotiations with Boras in Dec. 2008, withdrawing an eight-year, $160 million free-agent offer. But now he might have no choice but to re-engage . . . the Angels will need to be awfully creative if they intend to retool while shunning Boras’ clients.

Did the Angels ever “shun” Boras?  Yes, the Teixeira negotiations ended poorly, but I don’t recall anything coming out of that, publicly at least, that suggested the ill will of that experience would result in the Angels shunning Boras or his clients. As Rosenthal himself notes, Jered Weaver and Kendry Morales are both Boras clients. A team deals with an agent at times other than when the contract is up, so they likely have at least some working relationship with the guy. And he’s a season ticket holder too, as anyone who gets distracted by his Borasian visage in those pricey seats behind home plate during Angels games knows full well.

The only team I can ever recall simply swearing off Boras clients is the Braves following Greg Maddux’s decision to accept arbitration prior to the 2003 season, and I think even they have softened their stance since John Schuerholz moved upstairs to become team president.  Really, I don’t think any team can practically shun the guy. He represents too many players. Eventually he’ll have someone that each and every team either has or wants.

1. Panda Claus - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I shun Scott Boras because I can.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I shun both Boras and Pandas because I can.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:07 AM

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM

“I have nothing personal against Pandas except that I do not want to spend extra just to see one. I feel the same way about clients of Boras.”

That was very, very witty. For a Canadian.. :P

Boras get’s a bad rap mostly because he’s sooo very annoying with how he does drag these things out. Usually it works out. Johnny Damon learned a valuable lesson. That method usually works if you’re a “premier” talent. Otherwise take what’s offered. It is a priveledge to play in the MLB.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM

But that isn’t just any ordinary type panda, PC. It’s Panda Claus—who doesn’t love Pandy Claus? Especially around THIS time of year? ;)

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I want to say Bah Humbug, but I can’t. Cheers baseball fans.

The free agency season is starting off on a careful note.

2. okobojicat - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Nick Adenhart was a Boras client. They had a whole lot of business together last year. Craig, you published an article just last week how Boras gave all kinds of credit to the speech the Angels coach who is now the Brewers manager gave the day after Adenhart was killed.

I think the whole not dealing with Boras is kind of GM tells reporter “Yeah. He works for Boras, and that’s just a pain in the butt”
    Reporter: “So you’re not going to talk to him”
    GM “Well, we got to talk to him, but he never makes it easy”

Reporter Publishes: “Mystery Team X likely to to go wet on Boras clients.”

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I enjoy the Cubs having so few Boras clients, Nady being the only newer Cub to have Boras represent him.

I don’t mind Boras getting his boys paid so well; I mind him taking 4875384965353645 years to do it.

4. ta192 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM

If you get sued, you hire a good lawyer.
    If you’re an MLB player and you don’t want to get screwed, you hire a good agent.
    Whenever you need professional help, you try to score someone that might actually do a really good job. Boras seems to fit that mold…

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4815)