Nov 8, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune writes that the Cubs will be in the market for a power-hitting first baseman this offseason and may even be in the mix for Adam Dunn, but could be pretty limited financially unless they can unload Kosuke Fukudome’s contract:
The Cubs might need to trade Kosuke Fukudome before making an offer for any prominent free agent, though it will be difficult to find a trade partner without taking another overpaid player in return. Hendry did that with Milton Bradley last offseason, paving the way for the signing of center fielder Marlon Byrd.
Obviously swapping Milton Bradley for Carlos Silva worked out brilliantly for the Cubs last offseason, as Silva went 10-6 with a 4.22 ERA in 21 starts while Bradley hit .205 with a .641 OPS in 73 games for the Mariners, but the problem with making a similar swap involving Fukudome is that it won’t actually free up much money to pursue someone like Dunn.
By trading Fukudome the Cubs would clear a spot in the lineup for a good-hitting first baseman, but Sullivan questions “whether the Cubs can accommodate Dunn’s salary” and obviously no teams will be willing to swallow the $13.5 million Fukudome is owed in 2011.
In some respects Fukudome has gotten a bad rap because expectations were pretty high when he signed with the Cubs and his annual post-April fades have been frustrating, but he has hit .259/.368/.410 in three seasons. He’d be useful to a lot of teams as a platoon starter against right-handed pitching, but the question is how much of that $13.5 million the Cubs are willing to eat to move him.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)