Nov 8, 2010, 6:06 AM EDT
Last week we heard a report that the Marlins had an offer on the table to Dan Uggla. All we knew at the time was that the first year offered only a $200,000 raise for the arbitration-eligible Uggla. Ken Rosenthal reports, however, that it was a better overall deal than that suggested: four years, $48 million. He also reports that Uggla has rejected the offer.
Seems like a lot of money for a guy like Uggla to turn down. Yes, he’s been a beast offensively, but he’s also got another year until free agency, at which point he’ll be 31, the big spenders out there aren’t exactly in the market for second base help, second basemen tend not to do well on the free agent market,* and he is defense is a liability. Rosenthal suggests that Uggla could broaden his free agency horizons by a move to third, but that was suggested by multiple teams who were looking to trade for him last year, and his agent shot that out of the water, saying that Uggla has “performed remarkably over these four years at second base and there should be no reason to consider a position change at this time.” If he is in such denial about his client’s defensive value, perhaps he’s in denial about his market value too.
One other possibility: Uggla is trying to get out of Miami right now and is rejecting this offer in order to try to get the Marlins to non-tender him before he goes to arbitration this year. That would cut against previous comments Uggla has said about wanting to stay in Florida and, of course, there’s still the open question as to whether there is a contract bigger than $48 million waiting for him out on the market someplace.
*Bret Boone was the last free agent second baseman to land a contract worth more than $25 million. Luis Castillo got $25 million from the Mets two years ago, and the team regretted the signing before the ink was even dry. A handful of second basemen got large deals from their own teams — Dustin Pedroia, Chase Utley and Brian Roberts — but that second basemen just don’t do that well in free agency.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)