Francoeur to Philly? Burrell to Atlanta? Speculation for now, but let’s make this happen!

Nov 8, 2010, 9:36 AM EST

Jeff Francoeur

Last thing I take out of that Rosenthal column* this morning:

One potential landing spot for Jeff Francoeur: Philadelphia . . . The Braves, again seeking outfield help, are among the clubs that could take a look at Pat Burrell.

Before anyone goes nuts, remember: there’s a difference between an actual rumor and a reporter playing the “this guy would be a good fit here” game.  So much of that latter stuff gets repeated as actual news when, really, it’s nothing more than people chatting to kill the time.  That said:

• Both would make some amount of sense in that Frenchy can at least pretend to be the right-handed portion of a platoon and Burrell, for all of the holes in that swing, would actually represent an improvement for the Braves’ atrocious outfield;
  • Rosenthal was the first guy to be talking about the Cliff Lee/Roy Halladay trade last year. At the time everyone thought that was pure speculation too; and
  • While I’d hope that both the Braves and Phillies would aim higher to address their needs, I can’t imagine a situation that would give me more satisfaction than seeing Philly fans go nuts when Francoeur does Jeff Francoeur things. And if Burrell had one big hit to beat Philly in 2011, he’ be worth his salary and strikeouts in schadenfruede value alone.

So, yes, this is just “this guy would fit here stuff” right now. But a boy can dream, can’t he?

*At this point allow me to note that while I do my fair share of criticism of, well, everyone, I am a big fan of Ken Rosenthal. We disagree a lot when it comes to commentary — steroids stuff, competitive balance stuff, etc. — but as a reporter I really dig his work. He’s not always right. No one in the news and rumors game is. But he’s right just as often if not a bit more than most. More importantly, he has what I feel to be the right temperament for the job. You never hear him piling on players or organizations the way so many (myself included, I must admit) so often do.  Personally speaking, he’s unfailingly polite and gracious. I ripped a column of his to shreds once and he sent me an email defending his argument that was way nicer than I deserved. Made me feel like a schmuck. Which is good, because I was being a schmuck. I still behave like a schmuck sometimes, but I try to do it a bit less because as a result of Rosenthal’s graciousness.

I’m not going to canonize the guy or anything — we’re all human, and he’ll likely write something in the next couple of months that will have me tearing what’s left of my hair out — but there are only a handful of reporters who do what he does. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are hostile or arrogant or simply refuse to engage readers, critics and other writers at all. Rosenthal is better than that, and he deserves an occasional shoutout for it.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Ok, I heard rumors that Frenchie could platoon with Dom Brown if Werth wants too much $$$. The two together come nowhere close to performing like Werth does. Without the threat of him from the right side the Phills are entirely too “one dimensional”, How the EFF did the Phills get so damned lefty heavy when most teams can’t get enough??? I also think myself, that Raul is good as gone, that the phills will unload him, even if they must eat $$$$ which they would.. Then Werth stays, and Dom Brown and someone else “possibly Frenchie” would platoon LF. Actually, it’s more of a “hope”. Yes i’m still holding onto what makes me feel all warm and fuzzy until I know differently. Life is more pleasant that way i’ve found…

And Craig is trying his damndest to get back into Rosie’s good graces huh?? I can’t blame you, the dude is like a well of knowledge to things baseball, and is very, very useful in the upcoming hotstove season. Was this post “the terms” to get back access to his Twitter account without going under cover?

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Wrong guy, Jonny. It’s Heyman who blocked me. Not Rosenthal. Rosenthal has always been nice to me. No need to kiss ass.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Ohhhhhhh, right. Heyman. Thanks.

2. BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The evil part of me wants to see Frenchy go back to Atlanta. MMmmmmwwwaaahahahahaha….

• Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

The Phightins Phan in me wants him to go back there, too.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

The evil part of me wants to see him come to Philly and bat .400 against Atlanta….. Muahahahaha!!! But of course the odds of that are more steep than of Moyer coming back and working his way towards being the Phillies #1 starter…..

3. yankeesfanlen - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Suggested endorsement:
    PHrenchy
    PHilly
    Phrench
    PHries
    PHffffft!

4. Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM

“You never hear him piling on players or organizations the way so many (myself included, I must admit) so often do.”

Wait…what? Craig piles on players or organizations (and fanbases)? I would never have thought that. :)

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Francoeur absolutely stinks. He ought to leave MLB.

But I digress…I like Rosenthal too, for his opinions and how good he really is at his job. Sadly, he’s the least craziest person working for FOX.

6. schmedley69 - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Right back at you, Craig. Nothing would give me more satisfaction than seeing Braves fans go nuts when Burrell does Pat Burrell things. You guys should sign Burrell’s drinking buddy, Jason Michaels, too. I’m sure that the bar owners in Buckhead would welcome their arrival.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4676)