Nov 8, 2010, 12:25 PM EST
A couple of years ago Angels’ third baseman Brandon Wood was cut by his winter ball team for poor performance. On the one hand, it’s a small sample size and winter ball teams are trying to win, not develop U.S. talent. On the other hand, hey, they sure saw through Brandon Wood, didn’t they? Oh well, I’m sure things will turn out totally different for this Angels’ prospect:
Hank Conger, in a terrible slump, was removed last week from his Venezuelan team’s roster . . . Conger wasn’t hitting at all, but it was only 36 at bats, so probably nothing but a tough two weeks from the catching prospect.
Say Hank, have you ever been to Australia?
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 12
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 51
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 24
- Roy Halladay is retiring 54
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 50
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)