HBT Weekend Wrapup

Nov 8, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

Cell Phone

I had an excuse for missing baseball news this weekend: I got a new phone that is perhaps the scariest bit of technology I have ever encountered. I’m still traumatized, frankly, and all I’ve done is figure out how to change the ring tone. You guys who spent all weekend watching football have way less of an excuse. That’s just a sad sport, frankly, and if you can’t get everything you need from Florio, Rosenthal and the rest, God help you. You don’t need to actually watch it.

OK, sorry. That was hostile. I’m just a bit phone-shocked. I’ll be better as the morning wears on.  The weekend wrap:

• Sticking with the Mets, the kabuki theater they are going through in order to satisfy the rabid portions of their fan base that they’re really considering Wally Backman for the job when they totally don’t plan on hiring him is something to behold.
  • Bad news: an elbow injury has likely ended Jamie Moyer’s career. Good news: He can get some simple surgery to fix it now, but if he had suffered this injury during the early part of his career they would have shot him to ease his suffering. See, because medical science has advanced so much in the past . . . oh, just forget it. I’m just sad that this may be my last chance to make a Jamie Moyer is old joke.
  • Derek Jeter and the Giants? Nah, but you know, even though I’m 100% certain Jeter goes back to the Yankees, a Giants uniform is the one non-Yankees uniform I can imagine him looking the least out-of-place in. Just aesthetically speaking. It’s the one uni that looks good and classic enough so that it wouldn’t diminish his historical stature, while at the same time not breaking some rivalry or cultural taboo like the Red Sox or Dodgers would. OK, maybe the Tigers, but I’d prefer it if Alan Trammell remained the most famous Tiger shortstop of all time, thank you.
  • Edgar Renteria wants to come back in 2011. The one guy who could have gotten around the old “all things end badly or else they’d never end” maxim is gonna blow it. Oh well. And hey: another Tiger shortstop.

Hey, I think I figured out how to make my phone make fart noises!  Progress.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I hate “Smart Phones”. They almost make me feel dumb. After dealing with mine, I have to look at my university degrees in order to convince myself that I have a modicum of intelligence.

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I have the Fender LE, it’s basically a phone with the ability to hold 16 Gigs of music,video, or pictures, surf the internet, It’s a GPS, It’s got a very good navigating app, i never need my Garmin anymore, It can get any app imaginable at the Droid market, Voice dial, voice search, it scans barcodes then tells you the best deal around, Updated weather anywhere, the list is endless of what this thing can do. It even maps the stars in the night sky for you, it’s cool, hold it to the sky and the constellations are laid out for you. My son loves that one. i know you can connect and do your banking on it too, but I’m not comfortable enough with it to do it. I love my phone, and Eric Clapton thinks it’s cool…..

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Clapton is God.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

We’ve been over this before. Clapton is Good, not God. Clapton is cursed, And Stevie Ray Vaughn is God., well Him, Albert King, Freddy King, Johnny Winters, and Albert Collins are all Gutair gods By committee. Clapton is Secretary of state to these guys. Have you ever listened to the Blues? The true Blues? enjoy.

These guys couldn’t sell an album in the states.

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM

You left out John Lee Hooker. No discussion of blues is complete without him.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I am a fan of John Lee Hooker as well, Gatemouth, Diddly, I could keep going, but the ones I mentioned, I mentioned because I feel they were the best gutairists of their time. And maybe all time. Albert King would be the “KING” on my list, I have recordings of him playing with Hendrix, and SRV. He had a hand in both of their careers.

3. BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Craig – don’t feel bad. I’ve had my Honda Insight for 16 months, and despite reading the manual it takes me about a half hour to figure out how to change the clock for daylight savings time.
    PS. Bring back the rotary phone!

• Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I hope that’s not a picture of Craig’s new phone up there, ’cause methinks he mighta been ripped off.

4. Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Jeter to the Stros, the Friars or the Bucs—if only to see him in those godawful throwbacks….

5. nwgiantfan - Nov 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM

That’s Brian Wilson’s phone. You tell him if you don’t like it. SRV is my favorite, Clapton is very good, and we don’t need the big ego that comes with Derek. We already had that pleasure. I have a Droid and love it. Check out the “Stone Free” cd. Jimi’s tunes done by alot of good people. Cheers

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4761)