Nov 8, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
In September, White Sox general manager Ken Williams stated that 2010 first-round pick Chris Sale would have a chance to win a spot in the starting rotation next spring.
One scenario Williams discussed at the time is that the young left-hander could function as an insurance policy if Jake Peavy needs more time to bounce back from surgery to repair a torn lat muscle. Well, White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper recently told Scott Merkin of MLB.com that he isn’t so sure about that plan.
“If Peavy ain’t ready, I’m not sure the best thing for a young kid is to start for X amount of days and weeks and then move him to the bullpen. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for Sale to be in the bullpen and get more experience and then make him a starter. Years ago, that’s the way a lot of organizations did it.”
Sale, who turns 22 next March, thrived as a reliever after being promoted to the major leagues in August, posting a 1.93 ERA and 32/10 K/BB ratio over 23 1/3 innings. The lanky lefty held the opposition scoreless in 17 out of his 21 appearances.
Both Williams and Cooper see Sale as a starting pitcher in the long-term, but the White Sox potentially have an abundance of riches in their starting rotation next season. If Peavy bounces back from surgery without a hitch — obviously far from a given — the White Sox also have Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Mark Buehrle and Edwin Jackson under team control. Barring injury or a potential trade, it’s hard to see Sale getting a legitimate shot, at least in the short-term.
Merkin believes that Tony Pena is more likely to be a temporary fill-in for the starting rotation. Pena, who is arbitration-eligible this winter, posted a mediocre 5.10 ERA and 56/45 K/BB ratio over 100 2/3 innings this past season. He made three starts down the stretch after Gavin Floyd was shut down due to shoulder tightness.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)