Nov 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Jarrod Washburn sat out all of this season when he struggled to find interested teams following knee surgery, but the 36-year-old left-hander told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he’s considering a comeback.
I honestly am very happy with my decision to not play and hadn’t thought of playing again until recently. This past week I have already been contacted by a couple teams, just to gauge my interest in coming back, so that has made me think about it a little. I will not say I am 100 percent retired because a great opportunity might present itself.
Washburn is a Wisconsin native and indicated that he’d like to pitch for the Brewers and their new manager Ron Roenicke, as they worked together as members of the Angels. Asked about Roenicke, he said: “Love him. Great hire for the Brewers.”
Washburn went 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA in eight starts for the Tigers down the stretch in 2009 and then further scared off potential suitors by going under the knife, but prior to being traded to Detroit he had a 2.64 ERA in 20 starts for Seattle. If healthy he’d be a decent back-of-the-rotation option for teams on a budget.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)