Nov 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Jarrod Washburn sat out all of this season when he struggled to find interested teams following knee surgery, but the 36-year-old left-hander told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he’s considering a comeback.
I honestly am very happy with my decision to not play and hadn’t thought of playing again until recently. This past week I have already been contacted by a couple teams, just to gauge my interest in coming back, so that has made me think about it a little. I will not say I am 100 percent retired because a great opportunity might present itself.
Washburn is a Wisconsin native and indicated that he’d like to pitch for the Brewers and their new manager Ron Roenicke, as they worked together as members of the Angels. Asked about Roenicke, he said: “Love him. Great hire for the Brewers.”
Washburn went 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA in eight starts for the Tigers down the stretch in 2009 and then further scared off potential suitors by going under the knife, but prior to being traded to Detroit he had a 2.64 ERA in 20 starts for Seattle. If healthy he’d be a decent back-of-the-rotation option for teams on a budget.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)