Nov 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Jarrod Washburn sat out all of this season when he struggled to find interested teams following knee surgery, but the 36-year-old left-hander told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he’s considering a comeback.
I honestly am very happy with my decision to not play and hadn’t thought of playing again until recently. This past week I have already been contacted by a couple teams, just to gauge my interest in coming back, so that has made me think about it a little. I will not say I am 100 percent retired because a great opportunity might present itself.
Washburn is a Wisconsin native and indicated that he’d like to pitch for the Brewers and their new manager Ron Roenicke, as they worked together as members of the Angels. Asked about Roenicke, he said: “Love him. Great hire for the Brewers.”
Washburn went 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA in eight starts for the Tigers down the stretch in 2009 and then further scared off potential suitors by going under the knife, but prior to being traded to Detroit he had a 2.64 ERA in 20 starts for Seattle. If healthy he’d be a decent back-of-the-rotation option for teams on a budget.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 81
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)