Nov 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Jarrod Washburn sat out all of this season when he struggled to find interested teams following knee surgery, but the 36-year-old left-hander told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he’s considering a comeback.
I honestly am very happy with my decision to not play and hadn’t thought of playing again until recently. This past week I have already been contacted by a couple teams, just to gauge my interest in coming back, so that has made me think about it a little. I will not say I am 100 percent retired because a great opportunity might present itself.
Washburn is a Wisconsin native and indicated that he’d like to pitch for the Brewers and their new manager Ron Roenicke, as they worked together as members of the Angels. Asked about Roenicke, he said: “Love him. Great hire for the Brewers.”
Washburn went 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA in eight starts for the Tigers down the stretch in 2009 and then further scared off potential suitors by going under the knife, but prior to being traded to Detroit he had a 2.64 ERA in 20 starts for Seattle. If healthy he’d be a decent back-of-the-rotation option for teams on a budget.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)