Jorge Posada plans on remaining Yankees’ starting catcher

Nov 8, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT

posada

With a solid backup in Francisco Cervelli and an elite prospect in 20-year-old Jesus Montero there’s been a lot of speculation about how the Yankees will divvy up playing time at catcher next season and beyond, but Jorge Posada told Christian Red of the New York Daily News that he expects to remain the starter:

I’m going to prepare for [the starting catching job]. I love catching, love being behind the plate. I take a lot of pride, that’s my position. If they want me to be DH or catch, just be honest and let me know what’s up.

Red notes that Posada was behind the plate for just 83 of his 120 games this season and a similar split makes sense for 2011, when he’ll be finishing up a four-year, $52 million contract at age 39. Posada continues to be a major asset offensively, posting an .811 OPS that ranked seventh among all players who started at least 75 games at catcher, but his defense has become a major liability.

Of course, while everyone seems to love Montero’s potential offensively few people are convinced that he has the defensive skills to stick behind the plate long term, let alone take on significant innings at catcher in the majors as a 21-year-old.

1. yankeesfanlen - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Well, he wants to be the starting cather, what do Cashman and Girardi want? Plus, BudLight wants quicker games.

2. pisano - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM

He should be ashamed to have made that statement . The Red Sox and the Rangers exposed him for his lack of throwing runners out . I said this before , I’m sure it’s happened in the past , but I’ve never personally seen it where a team gets four stolen bases by two runners in one inning , well Mr. Posada your the one that holds that distinction . While we’re on the subject of being a full time catcher your batting ave. was .248 not very good , plus he’ll be forty next season . I know it won’t happen , but it’s time for Posada and Jeter to move on and if they can find a place for AJ Burnett , and Joba take their worthless asses with them .

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Posada, you’ve been marvelous for New York for 15 years, and you’ll go down with Munson and Berra as the best catchers in Yankee history, but teams know they can run on you, and those knees are only going to give you a little more time behind the plate. Expect to be a catcher and DH equally.

4. uyf1950 - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I’m glad at least the article didn’t say he wanted to be the Yankees “full time starting catcher”. The way I see it the since he is under contract for 2011 the games he starts which I hope are not that many he is the starting catcher. I hope if the Yankees don’t have the confidence in one of their prospects they go after John Buck of the Blue Jays with a 2 year deal. Sorry Jorge but it’s time for you to accept reality.

• pisano - Nov 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Thank God someone see’s it like I do . I’ve been saying ever since I heard Buck was a free agent he’s the best kept secret behind the plate around . I only hope the Yankees have him in their sights. The Yankees can’t have Posada as anything but a back-up and that means as a occasional DH and back-up catcher . That robust .248 BA doesn’t get it as a full time DH . They went 2 yrs. too long on his contract and I hope they don’t do the same with Jeter . These guys were great , but it’s basically over for them both .

5. jfk69 - Nov 9, 2010 at 6:35 AM

POSADA READ THIS
    Joe Louis fought well past his prime because he had money problems. Boxing loved it as it brought in the fans,publicity and more money. However the real fans cried when they saw the shell of a once great fighter humbled and badly beaten.
    While baseball is a team sport,don’t be selfish and try to keep doing a job that your skill set no longer can handle.Sure next year you will have flashes of the greatness that once was. At the end of the day even you must realize that 40 year old catchers are rare and usually a liability.
    Do us all a favor and make this year your retirement tour farewell. Go out a winner…..Not someone who stayed too long and had to be asked to leave.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2982)