Nov 8, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
With a solid backup in Francisco Cervelli and an elite prospect in 20-year-old Jesus Montero there’s been a lot of speculation about how the Yankees will divvy up playing time at catcher next season and beyond, but Jorge Posada told Christian Red of the New York Daily News that he expects to remain the starter:
I’m going to prepare for [the starting catching job]. I love catching, love being behind the plate. I take a lot of pride, that’s my position. If they want me to be DH or catch, just be honest and let me know what’s up.
Red notes that Posada was behind the plate for just 83 of his 120 games this season and a similar split makes sense for 2011, when he’ll be finishing up a four-year, $52 million contract at age 39. Posada continues to be a major asset offensively, posting an .811 OPS that ranked seventh among all players who started at least 75 games at catcher, but his defense has become a major liability.
Of course, while everyone seems to love Montero’s potential offensively few people are convinced that he has the defensive skills to stick behind the plate long term, let alone take on significant innings at catcher in the majors as a 21-year-old.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)