Nov 8, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
With a solid backup in Francisco Cervelli and an elite prospect in 20-year-old Jesus Montero there’s been a lot of speculation about how the Yankees will divvy up playing time at catcher next season and beyond, but Jorge Posada told Christian Red of the New York Daily News that he expects to remain the starter:
I’m going to prepare for [the starting catching job]. I love catching, love being behind the plate. I take a lot of pride, that’s my position. If they want me to be DH or catch, just be honest and let me know what’s up.
Red notes that Posada was behind the plate for just 83 of his 120 games this season and a similar split makes sense for 2011, when he’ll be finishing up a four-year, $52 million contract at age 39. Posada continues to be a major asset offensively, posting an .811 OPS that ranked seventh among all players who started at least 75 games at catcher, but his defense has become a major liability.
Of course, while everyone seems to love Montero’s potential offensively few people are convinced that he has the defensive skills to stick behind the plate long term, let alone take on significant innings at catcher in the majors as a 21-year-old.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 48
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)