Nov 8, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
With a solid backup in Francisco Cervelli and an elite prospect in 20-year-old Jesus Montero there’s been a lot of speculation about how the Yankees will divvy up playing time at catcher next season and beyond, but Jorge Posada told Christian Red of the New York Daily News that he expects to remain the starter:
I’m going to prepare for [the starting catching job]. I love catching, love being behind the plate. I take a lot of pride, that’s my position. If they want me to be DH or catch, just be honest and let me know what’s up.
Red notes that Posada was behind the plate for just 83 of his 120 games this season and a similar split makes sense for 2011, when he’ll be finishing up a four-year, $52 million contract at age 39. Posada continues to be a major asset offensively, posting an .811 OPS that ranked seventh among all players who started at least 75 games at catcher, but his defense has become a major liability.
Of course, while everyone seems to love Montero’s potential offensively few people are convinced that he has the defensive skills to stick behind the plate long term, let alone take on significant innings at catcher in the majors as a 21-year-old.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (106)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)