Now the Marlins might trade Dan Uggla

Nov 8, 2010, 2:09 PM EDT

Dan Uggla

On the heels of news that Dan Uggla rejected a four-year, $48 million offer, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro — after confirming the offer Rosenthal mentioned — reports that the Marlins “may seriously consider” trading him.

He’d be valuable to any number of teams, I presume. But maybe less so if they think that he wants a deal of five years or greater than $48 million from them too.  Ultimately, it seems, the true gauge of Uggla’s trade value is whether he just wants out of Miami for some reason or if he truly thinks he’s worth Chase Utley money or something close to it.

1. BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:14 PM

How about a trade to SF for Jonathan Sanchez and a couple prospects?

2. Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I don’t wanna say I told you so but….

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Wow! That wasn’t over the possible trade. That was my anticipation of just how bad the Marlins are going to suck in 2011…. Ross, Cantu, and Uggla gone….. Looks like the Braves And Phills are on a cake walk until the playoffs next season. And I don’t really like that too much.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM

This was a total collaboration between Loria and Uggla. I think it went something like this.
    Loria: How about 7 million a year for 4 ?
    Ugg: Hell no, can’t you just trade me?
    Loria: Dude, the royalty money……..
    Ugg: Ohhh yeah, on account you’ve been a cheap skate
    Loria: Yeah, pretty much
    Ugg: I just don’t want to play for peanuts, and I’m sick of the empty bleachers
    Loria: How about I pretend to offer you what you’re worth, maybe a tad more, then you decline?
    Ugg: how does that help me?
    Loria: Don’t think too hard it could hurt you, but I could trade you then without anyone being able to come down on me over Royalty proceeds I hoard, uhh, I mean use to buy equipment and other players ,and stuff totally baseball related……

• ta192 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Believable, actually believable…

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Scrooge McLoria collects EYPs the way medical students collect lithopedions. In the expanded version of this metaphor, that makes the Feesh a fridge full of cadavers. It’s not enough the fizzled Feesh EYPs get sold off for ethanol. Now Scrooge and the chihuahua are moving in on the organ transplant black market. You read it here first, boys and girls.

• ta192 - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Loria doesn’t collect EYP’s, he just provides temporary storage en route to better climes…

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Like I said, a fridge full of cadavers. You have to refrigerate Feesh. They just don’t keep.

5. jfk69 - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM

PLEASE GET ME OUT OF MIAMI OR TRADE ME TO THE HEAT.
    IF ONLY I PLAYED B BALL INSTEAD.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win