Nov 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Wallace Matthews of ESPN reports that the Yankees are currently preparing offers for Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Cliff Lee. Matthews’ source tells him that Jeter’s offer will be for three years and between $15-20 million per year.
The Yankees are expected to have a deal done with Jeter before either Rivera or Lee, Matthews reports. If the Yankees do manage to outbid the competition for Lee, the team does not expect that deal to be done until mid-December, after the Winter Meetings. The team is holding off on putting together an offer for Andy Pettitte until he decides that he’s coming back next year.
The $15-20 million figure for Jeter is not too far off from what the pundits had been predicted. A little on the high side if they go $20 million a year, of course. And no matter where it ends up, the deal will be worth way more than Jeter is worth on purely baseball merits. But hey, it’s Jeter. It’s the Yankees. You knew those crazy kids were going to stick together and you knew it was going to be expensive.
Forget it Jake, it’s Yankeetown.
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 18
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 49
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1