Report: Jeter’s offer from the Yankees will be three years, $45-60 million

Nov 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT

MLB_Jeter

Wallace Matthews of ESPN reports that the Yankees are currently preparing offers for Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Cliff Lee. Matthews’ source tells him that Jeter’s offer will be for three years and between $15-20 million per year.

The Yankees are expected to have a deal done with Jeter before either Rivera or Lee, Matthews reports. If the Yankees do manage to outbid the competition for Lee, the team does not expect that deal to be done until mid-December, after the Winter Meetings.  The team is holding off on putting together an offer for Andy Pettitte until he decides that he’s coming back next year.

The $15-20 million figure for Jeter is not too far off from what the pundits had been predicted. A little on the high side if they go $20 million a year, of course. And no matter where it ends up, the deal will be worth way more than Jeter is worth on purely baseball merits. But hey, it’s Jeter. It’s the Yankees. You knew those crazy kids were going to stick together and you knew it was going to be expensive.

Forget it Jake, it’s Yankeetown.

1. jfk69 - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I would love to see Mr. Jeter turn it down and ask for same deal as Arod. Take some shine off that sanctimonious halo he has wrapped around his head. Surprised that Mr. Torre hasn’t chimed in yet.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Which mystery team is interested in Jeter? It is no mystery that the NY/SF Giants are interested.

• jfk69 - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I love Canada and can’t wait to retire there. I hope i make before we.(usa)..financially implodes in an orgy of greed and corruption. You are right on San Fran…as most everybody in a management or coaching position from Sabean to Dick “dirt” Tidrow is a former Yankee. They would looking at Jeter as a player/coach.
        That other comment directed at you was probably made by some meth smoking trailer trash on government assistance.

• ramsbladdercup - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:23 PM

You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Totally unnecessary!

• henryd3rd - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Get over it will ya. If the Yankees had offered you that money you would have taken it also. So he’s a prick. I am sure he looses sleep over what you think

2. lar @ wezen-ball - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM

When I saw the headline, I thought it meant it’d be $15-20 million total (ie, $5-7 mil/year). I was pretty shocked they would have the guts to go that low.

This makes much more sense.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Based on his age and lack of range, $15 to $20 million total would be just about right.

• henryd3rd - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Jeter’s no fool. He’ll take that money and play as he has always done. When his career is over he’ll make a ton of money here in NY. There will be no need to pass the hat for him

3. pisano - Nov 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM

They (Yankees) are out of their minds .In three years he might be hitting .235 to . 245, not to mention his lack of range . Good luck Yankees, remember , you make your bed , you have to sleep in it .

• Ari Collins - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM

They have an awfully big bed though.

• henryd3rd - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Spoken like a true Yankee Hater! Must be a closeted Met fan

• pisano - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I’m a life long Yankee fan , but enough is enough of hanging on to players too long . Jeter and Posada have become liabilities , Posada more than Jeter , but Jeter isn’t far off . I thought they learned when they gave Posada a four year contract when he was 36 , now it appears they’re going to do the same with Jeter . This team needs to get younger real fast .

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:43 PM

If they play him every day. By the end of his contract he could be getting splinters in his butt. There have been worse investments in baseball. The steeenking Yanks will probably find a way to make a profit on him anyway.

• ripit4u - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Just watch out for bed bugs.

4. BC - Nov 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM

$45 million, huh? Hey, I’d take $450,000 – I’m at least 1/100th as good as Jeter at this point. And I have a better arm.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM

This isn’t a rhetorical question: If Derek made 4-5 million a year instead of 15, would he actually feel the difference in his personal finances at this point? Does he really need to continue making elite dollars for some reason? It makes no sense.

6. yankees1996 - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

This offer is right in the range of what the Yankees should pay Jeter, both sides are looking at more than his on-field performances. Next season Jeter wil pass the 3000 hit mark, a mark I might add that has never been attained by any other Yankee player.
    This comment is @ Pisano, I don’t understand your and other peoples comments about Jeters’ lack of range, his fielding percentage (career) is .972 that is more than respectable and he still makes the average and above average plays. Why do the Yankees have to get younger real fast?, I do not understand that comment either. The Yankees are not the oldest line up in the Majors, look we have Tex at first, Cano at second, Granderson in center, Gardner in left and Cervelli catching. Now is not the time to overhaul a proven winner. We have an excellent core of players there are just a few pieces missing right now, pitching is most certainly the most important. Austin Romine is looking good but is still a ways off from the Majors and I don’t honestly believe that the Yankees will not be closely watching the Crawford free agency. I do honestly believe that it is time for the Yankees to package Joba and maybe someone else together as trade bait for some additional pitching help or maybe some triple-A position players that are almost ready for the Major League level. Joe Girardi had lost all confidence in Joba once the playoffs were in swing and I do not see a good reason to keep him around. But you seriously need to relax things are not as bad as you are making them out to be, Jeter will do his part and he is not a downgrade by any means. I would still put Mo up against any other closer in the game and I think the Yankees will welcome Andy back with open arms, he is still the guy I would want to pitch our biggest post season games. A-Rod will be back next season still putting up the steady number he always puts up and Tex will be recovered from his injury and I am sure be putting up big numbers again. Cano will only be getting better and hopefully have an MVP season next year, I would like to see improvement from Granderson during the season and see improvement from Swisher in the post-season(he has been BAD), but overall if you put the projected line up on paper right now including Lee and Petitte in the rotation I think we have a serious Championship caliber team.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Fielding % is a terrible metric to use when comparing players. To make an extreme example, what’s better, a defender with 0 range but never misplays a ball or has a horrible throw to first, or a defender with incredible range who stops everything within 15-20 feet but occasionally boots a grounder or tosses one away?

Fielding % would love the first guy but hate the latter, but the latter will turn far more grounders into outs than the former. Jeter isn’t a statue out there, but there are a lot of plays he doesn’t get to that the average defender does, let alone an elite defender.

• yankees1996 - Nov 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM

O.k., I hear you but in your opinion list the “elite” defender you have in mind and list two other American League shortstops that you would take before Jeter.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Are we only talking about defense or a player as a whole? Strictly as a defender I’d take Alexi Ramirez first and then Andrus second. Izturis has been above-average three years running. However, taking the bat into account, maybe only Andrus because of his age and the fact his K rate is dropping and BB rate is increasing whereas the other two are almost all defense and no bat. Unfortunately, it’s been a really poor year for AL shortstops which is why Jeter, even with his worst year in his history, was still middle of the pack.

Open it up to the NL, and I’d take Tulo, S Drew and Hanley Ramirez any day of the week and twice on Sunday

7. yankees1996 - Nov 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I can live with Andrus, but Ramirez and Izturis no way. In the NL I agree with you Tulo no doubt about it, Drew, I don’t know, haven’t seen enough of him. Hanley Ramirez no way not even as a late inning defensive replacement.
    I think your choices have clearly answered the question however, by looking at your comments and the number of teams in the AL it is easy to see why Jeter is still considered to be one of the best in the League. Lets face it when the entire package is considered it is very hard to find a better player and very easy to wind up with someone you would rather not have when it is all said and done. He may not be the best shortstop to ever put on a glove but he damn sure is not the worst either.

• handsfour - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:57 AM

>> Hanley Ramirez no way not even as a late inning defensive replacement
      Really?

2010:
      .300/.378/.475 Fielding %: .971 UZR/150: -12.4

Career:
      .313/.385/.520 Fielding %: .969 UZR/150: -8.9

Not my idea of a defensive replacement either. Hell of a player, though.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win