Nov 8, 2010, 9:57 AM EST
UPDATE: The deal is done. Two-years, $11.25 million with a club option for 2013.
Saturday, 4:25 P.M.: According to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com, the Tigers are close to signing Jhonny Peralta to a two-year, $11.25 million contract.
The Tigers declined Peralta’s $7.5 million option for 2011 earlier this week, but they were expected to bring him back at a lesser salary. If Rojas’ report is true, he will return at nearly the same price as Brandon Inge, who recently re-signed with the Tigers for two years and $11.5 million.
Peralta, who turns 29 next May, batted .249/.311/.392 with 15 home runs, 81 RBI and the Indians and Tigers this past season.
It’s a curious decision, to say the least. Peralta rates well below average defensively at shortstop and has posted an OPS of 696 over the past two seasons. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski may soon regret the composition of the left side of his infield. You’d think that $22.75 million could have been better spent this offseason.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 13
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 29
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)