Nov 8, 2010, 9:57 AM EST
UPDATE: The deal is done. Two-years, $11.25 million with a club option for 2013.
Saturday, 4:25 P.M.: According to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com, the Tigers are close to signing Jhonny Peralta to a two-year, $11.25 million contract.
The Tigers declined Peralta’s $7.5 million option for 2011 earlier this week, but they were expected to bring him back at a lesser salary. If Rojas’ report is true, he will return at nearly the same price as Brandon Inge, who recently re-signed with the Tigers for two years and $11.5 million.
Peralta, who turns 29 next May, batted .249/.311/.392 with 15 home runs, 81 RBI and the Indians and Tigers this past season.
It’s a curious decision, to say the least. Peralta rates well below average defensively at shortstop and has posted an OPS of 696 over the past two seasons. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski may soon regret the composition of the left side of his infield. You’d think that $22.75 million could have been better spent this offseason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)