Nov 8, 2010, 9:36 PM EDT
According to Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com, the Chiba Lotte Marines are posting infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka for MLB teams this week.
Nishioka, 26, led the Pacific League with a .346 batting average, 121 runs scored and 206 hits this past season. His hit total established a club record and were the most in the Pacific League since Ichiro Suzuki had 210 in 1994. The switch-hitter has reached double-digits in homers in each of the past three seasons and 20 or more stolen bases in five out of his last six.
Here’s a quick scouting report from ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine, who saw Nishioka first-hand when he managed the Marines.
“He is a good player, he is a talented kid. If he had been a college kid four or five years ago, he would have been a first-round pick. He runs faster than a lot of people. He can get a hit. He can steal a base. He can bunt. He is still developing physically and mentally. And this year, he stayed healthy all year. He has style issues, positive and negative: he likes to be noticed. How he develops will depend on what team signs him.”
Nishioka has primarily played shortstop during his time in Japan, though Valentine suggests that he might be better suited for second base in the United States. There’s not much out there in the free agent market as far as middle infielders are concerned, so it will be interesting to see who submits bids this week.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 15
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)