Shocker: Bud Selig believes that which has been thoroughly debunked

Nov 8, 2010, 1:24 PM EDT

Bud Selig defiant

A letter Bud Selig recently wrote is making the rounds this morning. Why? Because in it he says “I really believe that Abner Doubleday is the ‘Father of Baseball,'” and makes reference to “some historians who would dispute this though.” You can see a copy of it over at Deadspin.

Of course, the story of Abner Doubleday creating baseball has been conclusively proven to be hogwash. It was a finding by a committee that was tasked by one A.G. Spalding to find that very thing in the early 20th Century.  See, it had become known that baseball was really just an evolution of any number of British sports such as cricket, rounders and bat and trap, and in those heady, jingoistic days, it just would not do to have our National Pastime be the bastard child of a bunch of limey schoolyard games. Better to create a story in which a Civil War general created it in a pastoral setting rather than to have had it develop over several messy decades among filthy Irishman kicking around New York City slums.

You’d figure Bud would know that.  But then again, you’d figure that he’d realize that eight playoff teams were enough by now too. Or that maybe the umpires could use some help on close calls. Or that it doesn’t take two years for a committee of experts to figure out if it’s better for the Athletics to play in their empty, awful stadium in Oakland or to move into a nice post one in San Jose.

But really, I don’t think Selig is that dense. He can’t be to have gotten where he’s gotten in life. The fact is, he’s a politician.  He’s someone who would do anything to avoid taking a definitive stance on an issue when someone — say, someone who wrote him a letter and whose own feelings on a matter are less than clear — asked him to.  Because the last thing he’d want to do is to upset someone.

And, as is usually the case, his efforts to avoid upsetting someone have upset everyone.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:28 PM

this hashtag is growing in hilarity. Well done, sir

#ThingsBudSeligBelieves

2. sdelmonte - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Clearly, MLB has a time machine. And will make sure that someone named Abner Doubleday did invent baseball.

3. BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Bud Light needs to be debunked.

4. Jack Marshall - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Slow news day, eh, Craig? Is the fact that Selig is an idiot who is no more qualified to be baseball commissioner than my Jack Russell terrier really news any more? If Bart Giamatti ISN’T rolling in his grave, now THAT would be news.

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I hereby recommend that from this point forward, This http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2010/04/bud%20selig%20picking%20nose-thumb-250×201-1956121.jpg
    Must be the picture used in all Bud Selig related posts.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Don’t you have one of him sitting on the floor licking his balls?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM

No, but i have one of him scratching off fleas as he thumps his foot on the floor.

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Actually, this one is my personal favorite.

Make it rain, Bud, make it rain….

• ta192 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Finding one of him sitting on the floor licking his balls, or those of someone else, is probably the only way we’re going to get rid of the assclown…

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I dare anyone on this site to photoshop one and put it out on Flickr or Photobucket or somewhere….

6. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM

BTW, everyone knows God invented baseball. Cricket angered him,and he knew of a better way. So he etched the basics into stone and left it up to a bunch of inner city drunkards to hash out the details. Brilliant move God.

• ta192 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM

No, Jonny, read the main story; it evolved…

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM

We evolved too. And God made us. Right??? It’s the only logical explanation that exists. If you don’t agree I will gladly show you to the burning stake.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Mmmm…burning steak…I’ll have mine medium well, please.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM

mmmmmm, Steak……… jonny want…..

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches is more like it for you Feelie clowns. But if a Feelies fan comes up with the aforementioned creative photo challenge winner, it’ll be horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches for all – on me! Pardon me, though, if I have a veggie burger with soy cheese myself.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM

With the frequency of Gator’s references to them, I’m beginning to believe he does, in fact, have a taste for them.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Only on the way back up. And it lingers, horribly.

7. Gobias Industries - Nov 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Selig also strongly believes that Sidd Finch should’ve won the NL ROY award in ’85.

8. schmedley69 - Nov 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I thought that Tony LaRussa invented baseball?

• cktai - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I though Bud invented baseball. He’s just being modest.

9. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I have to go to Milwaukee on Thursday. Though I passed through it a few times, It’ll be the first time that I’ll actually be spending time there and I’m looking for things to do. Are there places that serve anything besides bratwurst? Can you find fruit juices there? And most of all, have they put that statue of Bud Slight up yet? My bladder wants to meet it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3480)