Nov 8, 2010, 11:04 AM EST
There was a baseball league in Australia from 1989-99. It hemorrhaged cash, and was eventually bought by ex-Brewer Dave Nilsson. The league folded around then. I assume Nilsson still plays with it in his basement or something.
But now there’s a new one — also called the Australian Baseball League — that just debuted on Saturday. It’s styled more like a winter league a la Mexico, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic. It has Ryan Rowland-Smith and Peter Moylan in it, so it has to be legit. There are six teams: The Adelaide Bite; the Brisbane Bandits; the Canberra Cavalry; the Melbourne Aces; the Perth Heat; and the Sydeny Blue Sox. If it’s successful in its first year they expect to expand with the Maitland Midnight Oil and the Victor Harbor Vegemite.
Or maybe not, but I have to get my daily Australia bashing in somehow.
Anyway, this time around the ABL has extensive financial backing from Major League Baseball, so it may last a bit longer. Perhaps INXS of ten years this time.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)