Nov 8, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
Boy, Rosenthal is chock full-o-rumorly goodness this morning, isn’t he? After the Uggla and Boras stuff, he passes along word that the Reds and Bronson Arroyo will likely do a two-year deal this week. Actually a three-year deal, as Arroyo’s $13 million option for 2011 — which has already been picked up — would wrapped into the deal, setting the baseline price. Rosenthal believes it will be a $36-39 million deal in all. As we’ve said before, Arroyo is nice durable starter. It’s possible that, yeah, he’ll be a nice durable below average starter by the time 2013 rolls around, but in a world of unsure bets, Arroyo is about as safe as they come.
Rosenthal adds that the Reds’ long term dealing may not end with Arroyo, though, as Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Edinson Volquez are all arbitration eligible. I agree with Robo that Votto may be well-served to go to arbitration this year and wait a year to do a long term deal, what with Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols and Adrian Gonzalez all likely doing much to raise the salary ceiling for first basemen. And it’s not like he’d leave a ton on the table in 2011 if he went to arbitration, with Ryan Howard’s epic deals serving as decent enough comps for arbitration purposes.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 76
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)