Nov 8, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
Boy, Rosenthal is chock full-o-rumorly goodness this morning, isn’t he? After the Uggla and Boras stuff, he passes along word that the Reds and Bronson Arroyo will likely do a two-year deal this week. Actually a three-year deal, as Arroyo’s $13 million option for 2011 — which has already been picked up — would wrapped into the deal, setting the baseline price. Rosenthal believes it will be a $36-39 million deal in all. As we’ve said before, Arroyo is nice durable starter. It’s possible that, yeah, he’ll be a nice durable below average starter by the time 2013 rolls around, but in a world of unsure bets, Arroyo is about as safe as they come.
Rosenthal adds that the Reds’ long term dealing may not end with Arroyo, though, as Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Edinson Volquez are all arbitration eligible. I agree with Robo that Votto may be well-served to go to arbitration this year and wait a year to do a long term deal, what with Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols and Adrian Gonzalez all likely doing much to raise the salary ceiling for first basemen. And it’s not like he’d leave a ton on the table in 2011 if he went to arbitration, with Ryan Howard’s epic deals serving as decent enough comps for arbitration purposes.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)