Nov 8, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
I just spoke with my buddy Norm Wamer at 106.5 The Ticket in Toledo. Norm tells me that he was on a conference call with Tigers’ GM Dave Dombrowski this morning, talking about the Jhonny Peralta signing. During the call someone asked him, basically, what’s next? The response was that they were looking at the middle of the lineup. Dombrowski was coy, but the reporters tried to get some hints by asking him what position they were looking to fill. When Dombrowski wouldn’t say, they asked him if it would be someone they’d consider asking to DH. Dombrowski dodged the question.
Take all of this second hand kind of stuff for what it’s worth, but you’d figure that if Dombrowski had his sights set on someone like Carl Crawford he’d say no, we’re looking at the outfield, wouldn’t you? Of course, it’s also possible that Dombrowski just doesn’t want anyone to know who he’s targeting — smart, even! — but the reporters on the phone call came away thinking that Dombrowski’s responses suggested that he’s looking at Adam Dunn or Victor Martinez. Both of whom are guys who could spend a lot of time at DH in Detroit but who might not want to. And might certainly not want to hear it from a team that’s courting them.
But don’t take my hearsay at face value. Norm is going to have Dombrowski’s comments on his show at around 3:30, and you can hear it streaming here.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)