There’s hope for the Mets. Quick! counter with reminders of their depressing past!

Nov 8, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT

The hiring of Sandy Alderson seems to have gone over well, and my Met-fan friends are almost allowing themselves to be optimistic these past couple of weeks.  Sure, 2011 will still likely be a challenge due to financial constraints and a couple of onerous contracts that have yet to run their course, but for the first time in a long time Mets fans are allowing themselves to hope for the best rather than assume the worst.

We can’t have that.

• Here’s a short, sweet, painful but true summary of what it’s like to be a Mets fan from last night’s “Family Guy”:
    • It’s not that I hate you, Mets fans: I just don’t want you to forget what this felt like when, in a couple of years, you’re beating the crap out of the Phillies and Braves in the NL East behind your Alderson-built UberTeam.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

What’s Alderson also going to fire Jeff Wilpon?

2. BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Unless Alderson can persuade the baseball equivalent of D-Wade, Lebron and Bosh to come to Queens, we’re not winning anything in the next 5 years.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Well you guys went and got Bay back… That’s a start. oh wait, you didn’t say Larry Bird, Doctor J, and Charles Barkley did you? Tee hee hee….

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, well we ended up getting Burnitz back too, and you see how that worked out….

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM

BC,I don’t know how you feel about it, and I’m curious. I’ll reserve my opinion on it until I get your answer. What is your take on getting rid of Willie R. ? What is your opinion of them letting him walk? And is your opinion the same today as it was back then?

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Neither Randolph nor Manuel are any good in my estimation. Neither of them had control of the team. True, their GM didn’t supply the team with any of those “scratch and claw” guys, but a lot of it has to be on the manager as well.
          Still hoping they bring Bobby V. back for comedic purposes but that’s not going to happen. They need to find someone who can command the club and isn’t afraid to put a size 9 where the sun don’t shine.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

As a Phills Fan I thought Randolph was the best thing to happen to the Mets in awhile, they did do better with him, wether it was by player signings or a combo, the result was better. When they fired him for Manuel, I did giggle to myself. I thought it was a mistake, I also thought it was Minaya trying to build an all hispanic team, or something… But yeah, If i were a Mets fan this would have alarmed me, and i would have been against it. Instead i just giggled. Randolph was the first mets Manager to clinch 1st since the days of Davey Johnson…..

• BC - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I’m pretty sure they won a division under Bobby V.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM

He clinched a very close 1 GB 2nd place. Once. And a bunch of not so close 2nd 3rds and 5ths. I was just curious though, thanks for the feedback. Valentine pretty much had stiffer competition while he was there I think than Randolph did. But if you look at standings Randolph was the best thing since Johnson “believe it or not”…..

3. sdelmonte - Nov 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Turning to Family Guy for humor is like turning to Omar Minaya for career advice.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Maybe Omar’s career objective was a Mutts job in an undisclosed location, which would make him a genius, now wouldn’t it? Hmm?

• JBerardi - Nov 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Because Family Guy is a very funny show and Omar Minaya has had a career that any one of us would literally KILL for?

Three legends off to Cooperstown