Nov 9, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Not surprisingly, Cliff Lee’s agent said yesterday that the free agent left-hander will likely take his sweet time fielding offers before deciding on a long-term home.
Here’s what Darek Braunecker told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:
Historically, these deals take some time. We don’t handicap the timing of this stuff, but we don’t anticipate this happening too quickly. There aren’t a whole lot of market factors that are necessarily going to influence Cliff’s negotiations. There’s not anybody else out there that’s going to have any bearing on what we do with Cliff, at least from our perspective.
Our conversations have been what we anticipated to this point; it’s early-stage dialogue with a number of interested parties. We’re truly at the beginning stages here. When this deal gets done is anybody’s guess.
Feinsand speculates that Lee is unlikely to sign before the winter meetings, which begin December 6.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)