Nov 9, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Not surprisingly, Cliff Lee’s agent said yesterday that the free agent left-hander will likely take his sweet time fielding offers before deciding on a long-term home.
Here’s what Darek Braunecker told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:
Historically, these deals take some time. We don’t handicap the timing of this stuff, but we don’t anticipate this happening too quickly. There aren’t a whole lot of market factors that are necessarily going to influence Cliff’s negotiations. There’s not anybody else out there that’s going to have any bearing on what we do with Cliff, at least from our perspective.
Our conversations have been what we anticipated to this point; it’s early-stage dialogue with a number of interested parties. We’re truly at the beginning stages here. When this deal gets done is anybody’s guess.
Feinsand speculates that Lee is unlikely to sign before the winter meetings, which begin December 6.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 3
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 5
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 20
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges