Nov 9, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
It seemed like a no-brainer out of loyalty, if nothing else.
Ken Oberkfell, who has managed the Mets’ Triple-A team for most of the last six years, will get a chance to interview for the opening with the big-league team.
Oberkfell has certainly paid all of his dues. He was Baseball America’s Minor League Manager of the Year in 2005. He’s managed the Mets’ Triple-A franchise through stops in Norfolk, New Orleans and Buffalo, with the only interruption coming when he became the team’s major league first-base coach for a spell in 2008 after Willie Randolph was fired as manager.
He’s even managing at this very moment. The interview will take place in the Dominican Republic because he’s trying to lead the Leones del Escogido to a second straight DWL championship.
A 16-year major leaguer, Oberkfell hit .278/.351/.362 with six clubs between 1977 and 1992. He had little power, but he amassed a 356/546 K/BB ratio in 4,874 career at-bats.
Oberkfell will be the seventh candidate interviewed by the Mets, joining fellow team employees Wally Backman, Terry Collins, Chip Hale, Dave Jauss and Bob Melvin and Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale. Still on tap are Clint Hurdle and Don Wakamatsu.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 57
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)