Quote of the Day: Jon Heyman on David Eckstein

Nov 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT

eckstein
Here’s Jon Heyman, in the course of naming David Eckstein a “potential free agent bargain.” Number eight on his list of bargains, actually:
A two-time World Series champ, this all-time scrapper is a big plus for any clubhouse.
I’d like to think that the Eckstein-is-scrappy thing has gone from observation to overused cliche and on into that new hipster realm in which things are so uncool that they’re actually cool (e.g. knitting, horned-rim glasses and T-shirts that say “Spam” on them), but I don’t think that’s the case.  Jon Heyman is actually touting the merits of David Eckstein based on him being scrappy, having a good clubhouse presence and the accident of history that placed him on a couple of teams that won the World Series.
But hey: I suppose he would be worth signing if he came with Albert Pujols, Chris Carpenter and the Rally Monkey at no extra charge.  Deal?
  1. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Craig, does Jon Heyman know you’re making fun of him again?

• tomemos - Nov 9, 2010 at 1:05 PM

He already blocked Craig from his Twitter feed; maybe next he’ll block Craig’s IP.

2. Andrew - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:50 PM

When I first read that article, I thought the greatest travesty was seeing Carl Pavano as a potential bust and “self-centered” until I saw Eckstein as a potential bargain.

3. Adam - Nov 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM

He also said Orlando Hudson was a good clubhouse guy, something which, apparently, the Twins would have to disagree with.

And regarding Pavano, everything I’ve read about his time with the Yankees is that he tried as hard as he could to get out on the mound but things kept going wrong. I don’t recall reading that he didn’t try after he got his big contract. Any truth to Heyman’s assertion Craig?

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM

The Pavano stuff is really he-said, he-said. Heyman is right that the Yankees felt that Pavano didn’t try as hard as he could to rehab. Pavano has countered that with comments of his own over the past couple of years. It’s hard to say what really went on, but the Yankees (as an organization) don’t historically trash ex-players (the media does that). They have thrown some dirt on Pavano, though.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

As a Yanks fan, I may have a slightly biased opinion, but as Craig mentioned it appeared that Pavano tried to get back, and in fact he hid one of his injuries (rib?) to try and get off the DL but it just exacerbated the problem.

It was just terrible luck, but he couldn’t stay healthy. It didn’t work out for the yanks because they essentially paid him 4/$40M for 26 total starts.

4. Mauer's Sideburns - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Craig, its not like he just sat there and watched while the Angels and Cards won those WS titles. I mean he didn’t win MVP of the WS or anything…..

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

And how much is an eight year-old WS MVP worth on the 2010-11 free agent market? Because that’s what Heyman is citing as a reason for him to be worth signing.

• Mauer's Sideburns - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

He won the WS MVP in 06. Not sure how that math adds up, but either way, I see your point. Being a Twins fan, I tend to covet those guys that are “scrappy” and “gritty” and “short”. He may not be a starter anymore, but he brings certain things that others simply cannot. Playoff experience (and success). Hustle and determination. He would certainly be a strong addition to anyone. I don’t think that it is a coincidence that nearly every team that he has ever played for has enjoyed winning seasons. I wouldn’t mind the Twins signing him to replace Hudson. Someone’s gotta get on base in front of my facial hair.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I know what you are trying to say, but still I think an 8 year old could hit better than Eckstein at this point. And he probably wouldn’t need a 3″ candy cane bat to do so either*.

*http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2008/06/buzz-bissinger-is-great-at-apologizing.html

• ngearhart1981 - Nov 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM

If you want someone to get on base in front of Mauer, you better hope the Twins don’t sign Eckstein.

5. micker716 - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Joe Morgan agrees with that assessment. Damn those statistics. Scrappiness trumps production any day.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM

His OBP has tapered off, and he probably won’t hit .300 again, but I think he makes for a fine platoon/back-up MIF. He’s worth a $1 million salary or so, for sure, but yeah, “scrappy” is a silly term for him.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3459)