Nov 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Here’s Jon Heyman, in the course of naming David Eckstein a “potential free agent bargain.” Number eight on his list of bargains, actually:
A two-time World Series champ, this all-time scrapper is a big plus for any clubhouse.
I’d like to think that the Eckstein-is-scrappy thing has gone from observation to overused cliche and on into that new hipster realm in which things are so uncool that they’re actually cool (e.g. knitting, horned-rim glasses and T-shirts that say “Spam” on them), but I don’t think that’s the case. Jon Heyman is actually touting the merits of David Eckstein based on him being scrappy, having a good clubhouse presence and the accident of history that placed him on a couple of teams that won the World Series.
But hey: I suppose he would be worth signing if he came with Albert Pujols, Chris Carpenter and the Rally Monkey at no extra charge. Deal?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)