Nov 9, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
A source tells Boston-based writer Maureen Mullen that the Phillies could be interested in signing Jason Varitek as a backup catcher to Carlos Ruiz.
How seriously should we take this one? Hard to say. Unless the Phillies find a taker for Brian Schneider’s $1.5 million contract for next season, it doesn’t sound like a very realistic fit.
Varitek, who turns 39 next April, batted .232/.293/.473 with seven homers and 16 RBI in 112 at-bats this past season and was 9-for-43 (21 percent) in throwing out would-be basestealers. The veteran backstop was limited to just five games and 17 at-bats after the All-Star break due to a broken right foot.
It’s very possible that his 14-year run in Boston is over, but Peter Gammons of MLB.com presented a scenario this week where Jarrod Saltalammachia and Varitek could be a tandem behind the plate next season if Victor Martinez signs elsewhere this winter. Yeah, that wouldn’t make anybody nervous or anything.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 9
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)