Nov 9, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
A source tells Boston-based writer Maureen Mullen that the Phillies could be interested in signing Jason Varitek as a backup catcher to Carlos Ruiz.
How seriously should we take this one? Hard to say. Unless the Phillies find a taker for Brian Schneider’s $1.5 million contract for next season, it doesn’t sound like a very realistic fit.
Varitek, who turns 39 next April, batted .232/.293/.473 with seven homers and 16 RBI in 112 at-bats this past season and was 9-for-43 (21 percent) in throwing out would-be basestealers. The veteran backstop was limited to just five games and 17 at-bats after the All-Star break due to a broken right foot.
It’s very possible that his 14-year run in Boston is over, but Peter Gammons of MLB.com presented a scenario this week where Jarrod Saltalammachia and Varitek could be a tandem behind the plate next season if Victor Martinez signs elsewhere this winter. Yeah, that wouldn’t make anybody nervous or anything.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 6
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)