Nov 9, 2010, 3:17 PM EST
With reports that shortstop Tsuyoshi Nishioka will be “posted” by his Japanese team later this week he’s suddenly an intriguing option in what is a pretty weak free agent market for middle infielders.
Patrick Newman, who does a great job covering Japanese baseball for NPB Tracker and Fan Graphs, has a lengthy scouting report on Nishioka that includes a comparison to Chone Figgins and Ryan Theriot.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but of particular note is that Newman views Nishioka as more of a second baseman than a shortstop due to his lack of arm strength. And while he’s coming off a career-year that saw him hit .346 that production was well above the 26-year-old’s previous track record and Nishioka has had a lot of trouble staying healthy.
Check out Newman’s scouting report for a lot more on Nishioka.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)