Nov 9, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
With reports that shortstop Tsuyoshi Nishioka will be “posted” by his Japanese team later this week he’s suddenly an intriguing option in what is a pretty weak free agent market for middle infielders.
Patrick Newman, who does a great job covering Japanese baseball for NPB Tracker and Fan Graphs, has a lengthy scouting report on Nishioka that includes a comparison to Chone Figgins and Ryan Theriot.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but of particular note is that Newman views Nishioka as more of a second baseman than a shortstop due to his lack of arm strength. And while he’s coming off a career-year that saw him hit .346 that production was well above the 26-year-old’s previous track record and Nishioka has had a lot of trouble staying healthy.
Check out Newman’s scouting report for a lot more on Nishioka.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)