Shocker: Jeff Francoeur to clear waivers, become a free agent this week

Nov 9, 2010, 9:27 AM EDT

Jeff Francoeur

Don’t look at me that way. There are like 40 posts a day around here, so I’m more than entitled to devote one or two of them every couple of days to my hysterical and irrational fixation on an otherwise insignificant role player. I know it’s immature and rather nuts, but it’s my thing, OK? Morosi:

Spoke with source who expects Jeff Francoeur to clear waivers and become a free agent by end of this week.

The line forms on the left. You’ll have to cut in front of Dayton Moore, but I imagine they’ll be plenty of Frenchy to go around.

1. BC - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:44 AM

For Craig’s sake, I hope the Braves claim him. It’ll keep things lively around here.

2. willmose - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Somebody will sign him up. After all someone has to be the bookie’s runner.

3. BC - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Say, looking at the photo, he sort of looks like a slightly beefier version of Kenny Loggins….

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

And he’s saying “I’m alright, don’t nobody worry ’bout me…”

• BC - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Seriously, though. Check this out. Twins separated at birth:

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Ah, the clothes of the 80s….

But dressed that way, Loggins looks like Ben Kenobi from Phantom Menace, etc.

4. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Don’t be ashamed of your festish, Craig. I have a thing for matamatas and I’m not embarrassed to say so.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM

You should be embarrassed.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I agree, but I’m not. When I say “I have a matamata fetish,” everybody thinks I’m talking about some sort of cult trendy undergarment or weird beach slippers. Little do they know.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM

You mean you don’t have a thing for rural New Zealanders? I’m so confused.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Young female, Maori with lots of labyrinth tattoos. It’s almost too easy, what with the men all out chasing sheep.

5. proudlycanadian - Nov 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I have relatives who are half Maori and I doubt that they chase sheep. Their father was a general rather than a farmer.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I wasn’t talking about the Maori men. I was talking about the penal colony descendants and escapees. I also exempt the ones who guard the tuataras and walking parrots.

Incidentally, what’s become of kiwicricket? The above was largely intended to roust him out of aestivation.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 10, 2010 at 7:08 AM

What became of kiwicricket may remain one of life’s mysteries.
        Craig’s interest in a cajun baseball player is also one of life’s mysteries. There is a cajun jockey (Calvin Borel) who is much more feisty than Francoeur.

6. Old Gator - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Yeah, right, but I sent kiwicricket off to locate a copy of C. L. R. James’ Beyond a Boundary, the postcolonial Boys of Summer of cricket, and I confess to being rrrrreally curious about whether he got ahold of it and what he thinks of it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3101)