Some thoughts on Joe Morgan

Nov 9, 2010, 6:58 AM EDT

Morgan and Miller yellow

I was reading a great interview of “Bloom County” cartoonist Berkeley Breathed yesterday, and came to the following exchange:

RUSSELL: The Internet’s biggest impact on culture has been the fragmentation of discourse — there’s no one central album or TV show or comic strip that’s a universal discussion point any more. How blessed do you feel for having gotten out of the game before that fragmentation really set in?

BREATHED: Your question is my answer. Blessed. The last hurrah. People think that things will unravel with rising sea levels. I happen to think that it’s because we won’t all ever be humming the same song at the same time around the country… or laughing at the same cartoon.

I found myself nodding my head because I realized that, no, I don’t read the same comics as everyone else anymore. I don’t watch the same shows. I don’t listen to the same music. If I didn’t work from home I wouldn’t be able to stand at the water cooler and discuss whatever the current version is of last night’s “Seinfeld,” because there isn’t such a beast anymore.

It’s not that I’m hip and have rarefied tastes. Even those of us with awful taste have our own niche interests these days thanks to the Internet and iTunes and Netflix and hundreds upon hundreds of TV channels at our disposal.  There just isn’t as much room for consensus on pop culture as there used to be. The only exceptions are a handful of reality shows.

Oh, and sports. Sports have to be one of the last great common meeting places, because why else would the news that ESPN was kicking Jon Miller and Joe Morgan to the curb make for such a common discussion point last night?  Maybe it’s only consensus within a niche, but everyone in this little niche of baseball had an opinion on the news last night.  For all of our localized rooting interests and TV work-arounds like MLB.tv or watching games  with the sound down and the Twitter feed providing silent commentary, we all pretty much watched Morgan and Miller on Sunday Night Baseball because, hell, what else are we gonna watch? “Desperate Housewives?”

And in keeping with the consensus of watching those two, there’s a consensus on ESPN’s decision to end their run: mild disappointment that Miller won’t be calling the games anymore, but considerable happiness that Morgan won’t be providing the commentary.  Not surprising. Miller is one of the best around. Morgan, well, we all know about him.

Here I break a little from the consensus. I agree that Miller was fantastic. I like his announcing style. I like his voice. I even like his corny humor. Most of all, I think he rises to the appropriate level at dramatic moments — high enough to make it clear that something big is going on, but not so big that he’d have you believe that history was being made every other damn play — and keeps things moving along.  To the extent he ever found himself in the weeds it was because he was dutifully trying to retrieve some rhetorical ball Morgan sliced in there.

About Morgan: I take no issue with any of the specific criticisms of the guy. As has been painstakingly chronicled on FJM and countless other websites, he seemed aggressively ignorant calling games at times, unwilling to acknowledge that any given bit of old school conventional baseball wisdom could be wrong or that any bit of new thinking — sabermetrics or otherwise — could have any insights.  This is not uncommon, or course, as many broadcasters are resistant to such things. But it was particularly galling from Morgan, because every account I’ve ever read about the man personally talks about how sharp he is, and everything about Joe Morgan the player suggests that he was among the smartest baseball players to ever play the game.

Indeed, Bill James even once determined that Morgan had the highest baseball I.Q. in history, measured in terms of on-field decision making when it comes to things like base running, defensive positioning, when to swing and when not to swing, etc.  Stuff that takes thought and strategy as opposed to pure athleticism. Stuff to which Morgan, as a commentator, was consistently hostile. Indeed, it’s not hard to imagine Morgan the announcer disdainfully discounting the skills of Morgan the player, and that’s what made us tear our hair out listening to the guy. In large part because we all suspected that he knew better and was taking contrarian positions rather than saying what he believed. We all felt, didn’t we, that if we found Morgan sitting next to us in a bar that he’d give us a wink and let us know that, no, he did not believe that a double was better than a home run because “home runs kill rallies.”

All of that said, I depart a bit from my fellow baseball fans when it comes to my reaction to the news of Joe Morgan’s departure from Sunday Night Baseball.  To be clear: it was a good move for ESPN to go in another direction. New blood is needed and I certainly won’t miss him. But at the same time, I can’t bring myself to join in to all of that “ding dong the witch is dead” nonsense I read all around the baseball web last night.  Morgan annoyed me, but never so much that I’d celebrate his departure. Mostly because, for as wrong as he could be at times, he was fairly easy to ignore. His voice wasn’t assaulting. He didn’t inject his commentary at the wrong times. He didn’t distract us from the game going on in front of us. He’d occasionally offer some good insights to go along with the bad stuff. In fact, it was often exciting to hear him say something insightful, because it was like catching someone trying to get away with something.

The point is, Morgan was never an announcer that would keep me from watching a game or who would cause me to turn off the sound. And believe me, there are a lot of guys who are that way. Guys who call baseball like they’re watching football games. Guys who seem to be paid by the cliche. Guys who think that Every. Single. Thing. That. Happens. On. A. Baseball. Diamond. Has. To. Be. Analyzed. Guys who, as they do all of that, have voices of annoying pitch and cadence who make watching a baseball game a hostile experience. Indeed, after catching some of them during  midweek games, it was almost refreshing to ease into a Miller-Morgan broadcast because, even if it wasn’t fabulous, it wasn’t openly assaulting like a lot of guys I could name but won’t.

Damning with faint praise? Nah, because my point isn’t to praise Joe Morgan. Like I said: not good, and better gone.  But I do think some perspective is due here. Morgan was not the worst guy calling games. Not by a longshot. He even had some charms.  I can’t help but think that if, at some point, maybe 15 years ago, an ESPN producer sat down and tried to work with him to reign in his worst excesses he even could have developed into a good commentator. OK, maybe that’s a stretch, but not a gigantic one.

The point: I think the reaction to his dismissal, like that to his commentary itself, is a bit overblown.

Latest Posts
  1. Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple

Apr 20, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT

carlos gomez getty Getty Images

A pretty vicious brawl just went down at PNC Park after Carlos Gomez of the Brewers went into home run celebration mode after slugging a Gerrit Cole pitch to the top of the center field wall …

2. Twins claim outfielder Sam Fuld off waivers from A’s

Apr 20, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT

sam fuld getty Getty Images

As first relayed by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Twins have claimed outfielder Sam Fuld off waivers from the A’s. Fuld was designated for assignment by Oakland last Saturday.

3. Cubs prospect Javier Baez back in action at AAA Iowa after missing one week with sore ankle

Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

javier baez getty AP

MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that Cubs top shortstop prospect Javier Baez is back in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Triple-A Iowa after missing a little over a week with soreness in his left ankle. He’ll serve as Iowa’s DH initially.

4. Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list

Apr 20, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT

mark teixeira getty Getty Images

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira is recovered from his Grade 1 right hamstring strain and is starting Sunday for the first time in over two weeks.

5. Tigers release shortstop Alex Gonzalez

Apr 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT

alex gonzalez getty Getty Images

The Tigers acquired Alex Gonzalez from the Orioles in late March after losing Jose Iglesias for the year and the veteran shortstop smacked a walkoff RBI single for Detroit on Opening Day. But he managed just three hits in 28 plate appearances after that and was officially released from the 25-man roster on Sunday.

6. Kyle Farnsworth, 38, takes over as Mets’ closer

Apr 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

kyle farnsworth getty Getty Images

Jose Valverde allowed three runs in an inning of work Saturday night against the Braves — the latest in a string of rough outings. So manager Terry Collins decided Sunday morning to make a change …

7. Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow

Apr 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT

ivan nova yankees getty Getty Images

Yankees starter Ivan Nova has been diagnosed with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow — an injury that almost always leads to Tommy John surgery.

8. Craig Kimbrel struggles in return from right shoulder issue, apologizes for reaction to being pulled

Apr 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

kimbrel getty Getty Images

Craig Kimbrel was called on Saturday for the first time since complaining of discomfort in his shoulder last Monday. The appearance did not go smoothly.

9. VIDEO: Albert Pujols slugs his 498th career home run

Apr 20, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT

albert pujols getty Getty Images

Watch as Angels first baseman Albert Pujols moved to within two home runs of the big 500-homer milestone on Saturday afternoon against Tigers closer Joe Nathan …

10. Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Apr 20, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT

mark buehrle getty Getty Images

Mark Buehrle pitched seven innings of shutout ball and Jose Reyes had an RBI single in his first game back from a hamstring strain as Toronto rolled to a 5-0 win over the Indians on Saturday afternoon in Cleveland. Buehrle yielded just four hits and is now 4-0 on the season with a 0.64 ERA in 28 innings.

11. Ike Davis solid in debut with Pirates

Apr 19, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT

Ike Davis Ike Davis

Ike Davis makes a good impression with his new team.

12. Evan Longoria becomes Rays franchise leader with 164th career home run

Apr 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

Evan Longoria climbs to the top of yet another Rays franchise leaderboard.

13. John Lannan accepts assignment to Triple-A Las Vegas

Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets

John Lannan will report to Triple-A Las Vegas after being outrighted on Wednesday by the Mets.

14. Chris Snyder retires, ending ten-year career

Apr 19, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT

Chris Snyder, Andres Torres Chris Snyder, Andres Torres

Veteran Chris Snyder hangs up the spikes, ending a ten-year stint in the big leagues.

15. Rangers place Jim Adduci on DL; promote top prospect Luis Sardinas

Apr 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Jim Adduci Jim Adduci

The Rangers lost Jim Adduci with a broken finger, but have called up one of their top prospects.

16. Gavin Floyd to make at least two more rehab starts

Apr 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Gavin Floyd Gavin Floyd

The Braves could get Gavin Floyd back in early May after he makes at least two more rehab starts.

17. Video: Camera guy falls following J.B. Shuck after he hit a lead-off homer

Apr 19, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

The camera guy made a faux pas during the first inning of Saturday’s Angels-Tigers game.

18. Dontrelle Willis considering becoming a pitching coach

Apr 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

With his playing career likely over, Dontrelle Willis is now considering becoming a pitching coach.

19. Mike Trout did something for the first time on Saturday

Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Mike Trout Mike Trout

Mike Trout attached his name to an ignominious feat on Saturday against the Tigers.

20. Manny Machado plays in first extended spring training game, nears official rehab stint

Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Manny Machado AP AP

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado continues to make progress from knee surgery. He played five innings at third base and took four at-bats today in an extended spring training game.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5517)