Some thoughts on Joe Morgan

Nov 9, 2010, 6:58 AM EDT

Morgan and Miller yellow

I was reading a great interview of “Bloom County” cartoonist Berkeley Breathed yesterday, and came to the following exchange:

RUSSELL: The Internet’s biggest impact on culture has been the fragmentation of discourse — there’s no one central album or TV show or comic strip that’s a universal discussion point any more. How blessed do you feel for having gotten out of the game before that fragmentation really set in?

BREATHED: Your question is my answer. Blessed. The last hurrah. People think that things will unravel with rising sea levels. I happen to think that it’s because we won’t all ever be humming the same song at the same time around the country… or laughing at the same cartoon.

I found myself nodding my head because I realized that, no, I don’t read the same comics as everyone else anymore. I don’t watch the same shows. I don’t listen to the same music. If I didn’t work from home I wouldn’t be able to stand at the water cooler and discuss whatever the current version is of last night’s “Seinfeld,” because there isn’t such a beast anymore.

It’s not that I’m hip and have rarefied tastes. Even those of us with awful taste have our own niche interests these days thanks to the Internet and iTunes and Netflix and hundreds upon hundreds of TV channels at our disposal.  There just isn’t as much room for consensus on pop culture as there used to be. The only exceptions are a handful of reality shows.

Oh, and sports. Sports have to be one of the last great common meeting places, because why else would the news that ESPN was kicking Jon Miller and Joe Morgan to the curb make for such a common discussion point last night?  Maybe it’s only consensus within a niche, but everyone in this little niche of baseball had an opinion on the news last night.  For all of our localized rooting interests and TV work-arounds like MLB.tv or watching games  with the sound down and the Twitter feed providing silent commentary, we all pretty much watched Morgan and Miller on Sunday Night Baseball because, hell, what else are we gonna watch? “Desperate Housewives?”

And in keeping with the consensus of watching those two, there’s a consensus on ESPN’s decision to end their run: mild disappointment that Miller won’t be calling the games anymore, but considerable happiness that Morgan won’t be providing the commentary.  Not surprising. Miller is one of the best around. Morgan, well, we all know about him.

Here I break a little from the consensus. I agree that Miller was fantastic. I like his announcing style. I like his voice. I even like his corny humor. Most of all, I think he rises to the appropriate level at dramatic moments — high enough to make it clear that something big is going on, but not so big that he’d have you believe that history was being made every other damn play — and keeps things moving along.  To the extent he ever found himself in the weeds it was because he was dutifully trying to retrieve some rhetorical ball Morgan sliced in there.

About Morgan: I take no issue with any of the specific criticisms of the guy. As has been painstakingly chronicled on FJM and countless other websites, he seemed aggressively ignorant calling games at times, unwilling to acknowledge that any given bit of old school conventional baseball wisdom could be wrong or that any bit of new thinking — sabermetrics or otherwise — could have any insights.  This is not uncommon, or course, as many broadcasters are resistant to such things. But it was particularly galling from Morgan, because every account I’ve ever read about the man personally talks about how sharp he is, and everything about Joe Morgan the player suggests that he was among the smartest baseball players to ever play the game.

Indeed, Bill James even once determined that Morgan had the highest baseball I.Q. in history, measured in terms of on-field decision making when it comes to things like base running, defensive positioning, when to swing and when not to swing, etc.  Stuff that takes thought and strategy as opposed to pure athleticism. Stuff to which Morgan, as a commentator, was consistently hostile. Indeed, it’s not hard to imagine Morgan the announcer disdainfully discounting the skills of Morgan the player, and that’s what made us tear our hair out listening to the guy. In large part because we all suspected that he knew better and was taking contrarian positions rather than saying what he believed. We all felt, didn’t we, that if we found Morgan sitting next to us in a bar that he’d give us a wink and let us know that, no, he did not believe that a double was better than a home run because “home runs kill rallies.”

All of that said, I depart a bit from my fellow baseball fans when it comes to my reaction to the news of Joe Morgan’s departure from Sunday Night Baseball.  To be clear: it was a good move for ESPN to go in another direction. New blood is needed and I certainly won’t miss him. But at the same time, I can’t bring myself to join in to all of that “ding dong the witch is dead” nonsense I read all around the baseball web last night.  Morgan annoyed me, but never so much that I’d celebrate his departure. Mostly because, for as wrong as he could be at times, he was fairly easy to ignore. His voice wasn’t assaulting. He didn’t inject his commentary at the wrong times. He didn’t distract us from the game going on in front of us. He’d occasionally offer some good insights to go along with the bad stuff. In fact, it was often exciting to hear him say something insightful, because it was like catching someone trying to get away with something.

The point is, Morgan was never an announcer that would keep me from watching a game or who would cause me to turn off the sound. And believe me, there are a lot of guys who are that way. Guys who call baseball like they’re watching football games. Guys who seem to be paid by the cliche. Guys who think that Every. Single. Thing. That. Happens. On. A. Baseball. Diamond. Has. To. Be. Analyzed. Guys who, as they do all of that, have voices of annoying pitch and cadence who make watching a baseball game a hostile experience. Indeed, after catching some of them during  midweek games, it was almost refreshing to ease into a Miller-Morgan broadcast because, even if it wasn’t fabulous, it wasn’t openly assaulting like a lot of guys I could name but won’t.

Damning with faint praise? Nah, because my point isn’t to praise Joe Morgan. Like I said: not good, and better gone.  But I do think some perspective is due here. Morgan was not the worst guy calling games. Not by a longshot. He even had some charms.  I can’t help but think that if, at some point, maybe 15 years ago, an ESPN producer sat down and tried to work with him to reign in his worst excesses he even could have developed into a good commentator. OK, maybe that’s a stretch, but not a gigantic one.

The point: I think the reaction to his dismissal, like that to his commentary itself, is a bit overblown.

Latest Posts
  1. Mitch Harris’ journey from the Naval Academy to MLB

May 24, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

mitch harris getty Getty Images

Really cool feature here from MLB Network on Mitch Harris’ unique path from the United States Naval Academy to a bullpen job with the NL Central-leading St. Louis Cardinals …

2. Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee

May 24, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

yan gomes getty Getty Images

Gomes, 27, batted .278/.313/.472 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI in 135 games last season for the Tribe, earning his first Silver Slugger Award. Cleveland (17-23) could use a big offensive boost right about now.

3. Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak

May 24, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT

marlins getty Getty Images

Miami defeated Baltimore to snap an eight-game losing streak late Saturday night on a Martin Prado walkoff RBI single in the bottom of the 13th inning.

4. Video: Anthony Rizzo slugs game-winning three-run shot

May 24, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

anthony rizzo getty Getty Images

Rizzo also hit a three-run double in the fifth, finishing the game with a career-high-tying six RBI.

5. Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

May 24, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT

alex gordon getty Getty Images

Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …

6. Play of the Day: Joey Votto makes a ridiculous throw to complete a double play

May 23, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT

Joey Votto Joey Votto

Joey Votto made an unorthodox throw to help turn a double play against the Indians on Saturday.

7. Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm

May 23, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT

Brian Matusz Brian Matusz

Brian Matusz is the second lefty reliever to be ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm.

8. The Marlins had interest in Jonathan Papelbon before firing Mike Redmond

May 23, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT

Jonathan Papelbon Getty Images

The Marlins were considering upgrading their bullpen with Jonathan Papelbon.

9. Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday

May 23, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton will be added to the Rangers’ roster on Monday.

10. Video: White Sox retire Paul Konerko’s number 14

May 23, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT

Paul Konerko Paul Konerko

Paul Konerko was honored before Saturday’s Twins/White Sox game as his number 14 was retired.

11. Dodgers place Yasmani Grandal on the seven-day concussion disabled list

May 23, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Yasmani Grandal Yasmani Grandal

Yasmani Grandal was hit by a backswing on Friday and will spend at least a week on the bench to recuperate.

12. Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard are back

May 23, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Prince Fielder Prince Fielder

A pair of previously injured and aging first basemen have performed well as baseball’s second month nears its conclusion.

13. The Phillies aren’t happy about the soft music played at Nationals Park

May 23, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

Ryne Sandberg Ryne Sandberg

The Nationals are trying to get into the heads of the Phillies by playing soft music during batting practice at Nationals Park.

14. The Astros turned a 5-4-3 triple play against the Tigers

May 23, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

Houston Astros Houston Astros

The Houston Astros used a 5-4-3 triple play to get out of a jam against the Tigers on Saturday.

15. Ben Zobrist on track to return from disabled list Monday

May 23, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

OAKLAND, CA - APRIL 12:  Wearing a Rawlings "I Web" baseball glove Ben Zobrist #18 of the Oakland Athletics warms up playing catch prior to the start of the game against the Seattle Mariners at O.co Coliseum on April 12, 2015 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ben Zobrist reqired arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on April 28, but he’s set to rejoin the Athletics sooner than originally anticipated.

16. Justin Verlander set to test triceps injury with simulated game

May 23, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT

Justin Verlander AP

Justin Verlander is ready to take the next step in his long road back from a right triceps strain.

17. UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis

May 23, 2015, 3:01 PM EDT

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 09:  David Wright #5 of the New York Mets warms up before the game against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park on April 9, 2015 in Washington, DC.  (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images) Getty Images

Wright has been sidelined since April 14 and he’s not close to rejoining the Mets.

18. Devin Mesoraco had a setback with his hip

May 23, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

Mesoraco has been dealing with a hip injury all season and surgery could be next.

19. Tanner Roark to fill in for Doug Fister in Nationals’ rotation

May 23, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT

PHOENIX, AZ - MAY 13:  Relief pitcher Tanner Roark #57 of the Washington Nationals pitches against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the MLB game at Chase Field on May 13, 2015 in Phoenix, Arizona.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images) Getty Images

Tanner Roark posted a 2.85 ERA across 31 starts last season, but the Nationals moved him to the bullpen after signing Max Scherzer to a huge contract over the winter. That depth is coming in handy now that Doug Fister is sidelined.

1. J. Hamilton (3539)