Some thoughts on Joe Morgan

Nov 9, 2010, 6:58 AM EDT

Morgan and Miller yellow

I was reading a great interview of “Bloom County” cartoonist Berkeley Breathed yesterday, and came to the following exchange:

RUSSELL: The Internet’s biggest impact on culture has been the fragmentation of discourse — there’s no one central album or TV show or comic strip that’s a universal discussion point any more. How blessed do you feel for having gotten out of the game before that fragmentation really set in?

BREATHED: Your question is my answer. Blessed. The last hurrah. People think that things will unravel with rising sea levels. I happen to think that it’s because we won’t all ever be humming the same song at the same time around the country… or laughing at the same cartoon.

I found myself nodding my head because I realized that, no, I don’t read the same comics as everyone else anymore. I don’t watch the same shows. I don’t listen to the same music. If I didn’t work from home I wouldn’t be able to stand at the water cooler and discuss whatever the current version is of last night’s “Seinfeld,” because there isn’t such a beast anymore.

It’s not that I’m hip and have rarefied tastes. Even those of us with awful taste have our own niche interests these days thanks to the Internet and iTunes and Netflix and hundreds upon hundreds of TV channels at our disposal.  There just isn’t as much room for consensus on pop culture as there used to be. The only exceptions are a handful of reality shows.

Oh, and sports. Sports have to be one of the last great common meeting places, because why else would the news that ESPN was kicking Jon Miller and Joe Morgan to the curb make for such a common discussion point last night?  Maybe it’s only consensus within a niche, but everyone in this little niche of baseball had an opinion on the news last night.  For all of our localized rooting interests and TV work-arounds like MLB.tv or watching games  with the sound down and the Twitter feed providing silent commentary, we all pretty much watched Morgan and Miller on Sunday Night Baseball because, hell, what else are we gonna watch? “Desperate Housewives?”

And in keeping with the consensus of watching those two, there’s a consensus on ESPN’s decision to end their run: mild disappointment that Miller won’t be calling the games anymore, but considerable happiness that Morgan won’t be providing the commentary.  Not surprising. Miller is one of the best around. Morgan, well, we all know about him.

Here I break a little from the consensus. I agree that Miller was fantastic. I like his announcing style. I like his voice. I even like his corny humor. Most of all, I think he rises to the appropriate level at dramatic moments — high enough to make it clear that something big is going on, but not so big that he’d have you believe that history was being made every other damn play — and keeps things moving along.  To the extent he ever found himself in the weeds it was because he was dutifully trying to retrieve some rhetorical ball Morgan sliced in there.

About Morgan: I take no issue with any of the specific criticisms of the guy. As has been painstakingly chronicled on FJM and countless other websites, he seemed aggressively ignorant calling games at times, unwilling to acknowledge that any given bit of old school conventional baseball wisdom could be wrong or that any bit of new thinking — sabermetrics or otherwise — could have any insights.  This is not uncommon, or course, as many broadcasters are resistant to such things. But it was particularly galling from Morgan, because every account I’ve ever read about the man personally talks about how sharp he is, and everything about Joe Morgan the player suggests that he was among the smartest baseball players to ever play the game.

Indeed, Bill James even once determined that Morgan had the highest baseball I.Q. in history, measured in terms of on-field decision making when it comes to things like base running, defensive positioning, when to swing and when not to swing, etc.  Stuff that takes thought and strategy as opposed to pure athleticism. Stuff to which Morgan, as a commentator, was consistently hostile. Indeed, it’s not hard to imagine Morgan the announcer disdainfully discounting the skills of Morgan the player, and that’s what made us tear our hair out listening to the guy. In large part because we all suspected that he knew better and was taking contrarian positions rather than saying what he believed. We all felt, didn’t we, that if we found Morgan sitting next to us in a bar that he’d give us a wink and let us know that, no, he did not believe that a double was better than a home run because “home runs kill rallies.”

All of that said, I depart a bit from my fellow baseball fans when it comes to my reaction to the news of Joe Morgan’s departure from Sunday Night Baseball.  To be clear: it was a good move for ESPN to go in another direction. New blood is needed and I certainly won’t miss him. But at the same time, I can’t bring myself to join in to all of that “ding dong the witch is dead” nonsense I read all around the baseball web last night.  Morgan annoyed me, but never so much that I’d celebrate his departure. Mostly because, for as wrong as he could be at times, he was fairly easy to ignore. His voice wasn’t assaulting. He didn’t inject his commentary at the wrong times. He didn’t distract us from the game going on in front of us. He’d occasionally offer some good insights to go along with the bad stuff. In fact, it was often exciting to hear him say something insightful, because it was like catching someone trying to get away with something.

The point is, Morgan was never an announcer that would keep me from watching a game or who would cause me to turn off the sound. And believe me, there are a lot of guys who are that way. Guys who call baseball like they’re watching football games. Guys who seem to be paid by the cliche. Guys who think that Every. Single. Thing. That. Happens. On. A. Baseball. Diamond. Has. To. Be. Analyzed. Guys who, as they do all of that, have voices of annoying pitch and cadence who make watching a baseball game a hostile experience. Indeed, after catching some of them during  midweek games, it was almost refreshing to ease into a Miller-Morgan broadcast because, even if it wasn’t fabulous, it wasn’t openly assaulting like a lot of guys I could name but won’t.

Damning with faint praise? Nah, because my point isn’t to praise Joe Morgan. Like I said: not good, and better gone.  But I do think some perspective is due here. Morgan was not the worst guy calling games. Not by a longshot. He even had some charms.  I can’t help but think that if, at some point, maybe 15 years ago, an ESPN producer sat down and tried to work with him to reign in his worst excesses he even could have developed into a good commentator. OK, maybe that’s a stretch, but not a gigantic one.

The point: I think the reaction to his dismissal, like that to his commentary itself, is a bit overblown.

Latest Posts
  1. The Mariners are interested in Drew Stubbs

Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

Drew Stubbs Getty Getty Images

The Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales in a deal with the Twins today, but they aren’t done attempting to upgrade.

2. Report: Phillies “working hard” to trade Ryan Howard

Jul 24, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT

Ryan Howard AP AP

The Phillies appear ready to move on from Ryan Howard.

3. Yankees acquire left-hander Chris Capuano from the Rockies

Jul 24, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

Chris Capuano Getty Getty Images

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman continues to stay busy.

4. Zach Putnam lands on disabled list with shoulder inflammation

Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

Zach Putnam AP

Zach Putnam has had a share of the closer role with the White Sox in recent weeks, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation.

5. Fractured fibula likely to keep Astros prospect Carlos Correa from Arizona Fall League

Jul 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Carlos Correa AP

Before the injury Correa was having an excellent season, hitting .325 with 20 steals in 62 games at high Single-A as a 19-year-old.

6. Ryan Howard does not seem too happy about platooning

Jul 24, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT

ryan howard getty Getty Images

It’s been bad in Philly. Is it starting to get ugly?

7. Masahiro Tanaka “is still reporting discomfort in his elbow”

Jul 24, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Masahiro Tanaka AP AP

Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka is supposed to rest for six weeks before doctors determine if he needs Tommy John elbow surgery, but 10 days into the process things aren’t going well.

8. The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience

Jul 24, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

140724-frank-thomas-1000 Getty Images

Frank Thomas is headed to the Hall of Fame thanks to his legendary batting eye.

9. Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams

Jul 24, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Sad Phillies fans

Everyone has a gift. This is my gift. I shall now share it with you.

10. Chuck Knoblauch arrested, accused of assaulting ex-wife

Jul 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Chuck Knoblauch

According to K-HOU television in Houston the 46-year-old Knoblauch has been charged with assault of a family member, Cheri Knoblauch, whom he divorced in 2012.

11. Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor

Jul 24, 2014, 2:51 PM EDT

Kendrys-Morales-Twins Getty Images

Kendrys Morales had a good first week for the Twins after sitting out the first two months of the season and then signing a one-year, $7.5 million deal in June, but he’s been horrendous since then while hitting .209 with one homer and a .524 OPS in 33 games.

12. Are the Dodgers about to dump Dan Haren?

Jul 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Dan Haren Dodgers AP

Dan Haren finished last season strong for the Nationals, signed a one-year, $10 million deal with the Dodgers this offseason, and got off to a nice start in Los Angeles.

13. HBT Daily: La Russa, Torre and Cox to be inducted on Sunday

Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

HBT Daily Logo

And it provides us with an opportunity to think about what it means to be a Hall of Fame manager.

14. Mariners send Taijuan Walker back to Triple-A

Jul 24, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT

taijuan walker getty Getty Images

Taijuan Walker rejoined Seattle’s rotation Wednesday after spending most of the season on the disabled list and at Triple-A, but after struggling in his start against the Mets the Mariners have sent the 21-year-old rookie back to the minors.

15. A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment

Jul 24, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT

Jim Johnson A's AP

Oakland acquiring Jim Johnson from Baltimore and agreeing to pay him $10 million this season left a lot of people shaking their heads and now the move is officially a spectacular failure. And over, too.

16. Tigers GM says Joel Hanrahan’s rehab status “does not sound encouraging”

Jul 24, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

Joel Hanrahan AP

When the Tigers signed Joel Hanrahan in May they were hoping the former All-Star closer would be ready to return from Tommy John elbow surgery by the All-Star break, but he hasn’t progressed as planned and now they’re not hoping for much of anything.

17. Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline

Jul 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

David Price David Price

Who is buying? Who is selling? Who is on the block? And is next week’s trade deadline really a deadline?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4034)