Some thoughts on Joe Morgan

Nov 9, 2010, 6:58 AM EDT

Morgan and Miller yellow

I was reading a great interview of “Bloom County” cartoonist Berkeley Breathed yesterday, and came to the following exchange:

RUSSELL: The Internet’s biggest impact on culture has been the fragmentation of discourse — there’s no one central album or TV show or comic strip that’s a universal discussion point any more. How blessed do you feel for having gotten out of the game before that fragmentation really set in?

BREATHED: Your question is my answer. Blessed. The last hurrah. People think that things will unravel with rising sea levels. I happen to think that it’s because we won’t all ever be humming the same song at the same time around the country… or laughing at the same cartoon.

I found myself nodding my head because I realized that, no, I don’t read the same comics as everyone else anymore. I don’t watch the same shows. I don’t listen to the same music. If I didn’t work from home I wouldn’t be able to stand at the water cooler and discuss whatever the current version is of last night’s “Seinfeld,” because there isn’t such a beast anymore.

It’s not that I’m hip and have rarefied tastes. Even those of us with awful taste have our own niche interests these days thanks to the Internet and iTunes and Netflix and hundreds upon hundreds of TV channels at our disposal.  There just isn’t as much room for consensus on pop culture as there used to be. The only exceptions are a handful of reality shows.

Oh, and sports. Sports have to be one of the last great common meeting places, because why else would the news that ESPN was kicking Jon Miller and Joe Morgan to the curb make for such a common discussion point last night?  Maybe it’s only consensus within a niche, but everyone in this little niche of baseball had an opinion on the news last night.  For all of our localized rooting interests and TV work-arounds like MLB.tv or watching games  with the sound down and the Twitter feed providing silent commentary, we all pretty much watched Morgan and Miller on Sunday Night Baseball because, hell, what else are we gonna watch? “Desperate Housewives?”

And in keeping with the consensus of watching those two, there’s a consensus on ESPN’s decision to end their run: mild disappointment that Miller won’t be calling the games anymore, but considerable happiness that Morgan won’t be providing the commentary.  Not surprising. Miller is one of the best around. Morgan, well, we all know about him.

Here I break a little from the consensus. I agree that Miller was fantastic. I like his announcing style. I like his voice. I even like his corny humor. Most of all, I think he rises to the appropriate level at dramatic moments — high enough to make it clear that something big is going on, but not so big that he’d have you believe that history was being made every other damn play — and keeps things moving along.  To the extent he ever found himself in the weeds it was because he was dutifully trying to retrieve some rhetorical ball Morgan sliced in there.

About Morgan: I take no issue with any of the specific criticisms of the guy. As has been painstakingly chronicled on FJM and countless other websites, he seemed aggressively ignorant calling games at times, unwilling to acknowledge that any given bit of old school conventional baseball wisdom could be wrong or that any bit of new thinking — sabermetrics or otherwise — could have any insights.  This is not uncommon, or course, as many broadcasters are resistant to such things. But it was particularly galling from Morgan, because every account I’ve ever read about the man personally talks about how sharp he is, and everything about Joe Morgan the player suggests that he was among the smartest baseball players to ever play the game.

Indeed, Bill James even once determined that Morgan had the highest baseball I.Q. in history, measured in terms of on-field decision making when it comes to things like base running, defensive positioning, when to swing and when not to swing, etc.  Stuff that takes thought and strategy as opposed to pure athleticism. Stuff to which Morgan, as a commentator, was consistently hostile. Indeed, it’s not hard to imagine Morgan the announcer disdainfully discounting the skills of Morgan the player, and that’s what made us tear our hair out listening to the guy. In large part because we all suspected that he knew better and was taking contrarian positions rather than saying what he believed. We all felt, didn’t we, that if we found Morgan sitting next to us in a bar that he’d give us a wink and let us know that, no, he did not believe that a double was better than a home run because “home runs kill rallies.”

All of that said, I depart a bit from my fellow baseball fans when it comes to my reaction to the news of Joe Morgan’s departure from Sunday Night Baseball.  To be clear: it was a good move for ESPN to go in another direction. New blood is needed and I certainly won’t miss him. But at the same time, I can’t bring myself to join in to all of that “ding dong the witch is dead” nonsense I read all around the baseball web last night.  Morgan annoyed me, but never so much that I’d celebrate his departure. Mostly because, for as wrong as he could be at times, he was fairly easy to ignore. His voice wasn’t assaulting. He didn’t inject his commentary at the wrong times. He didn’t distract us from the game going on in front of us. He’d occasionally offer some good insights to go along with the bad stuff. In fact, it was often exciting to hear him say something insightful, because it was like catching someone trying to get away with something.

The point is, Morgan was never an announcer that would keep me from watching a game or who would cause me to turn off the sound. And believe me, there are a lot of guys who are that way. Guys who call baseball like they’re watching football games. Guys who seem to be paid by the cliche. Guys who think that Every. Single. Thing. That. Happens. On. A. Baseball. Diamond. Has. To. Be. Analyzed. Guys who, as they do all of that, have voices of annoying pitch and cadence who make watching a baseball game a hostile experience. Indeed, after catching some of them during  midweek games, it was almost refreshing to ease into a Miller-Morgan broadcast because, even if it wasn’t fabulous, it wasn’t openly assaulting like a lot of guys I could name but won’t.

Damning with faint praise? Nah, because my point isn’t to praise Joe Morgan. Like I said: not good, and better gone.  But I do think some perspective is due here. Morgan was not the worst guy calling games. Not by a longshot. He even had some charms.  I can’t help but think that if, at some point, maybe 15 years ago, an ESPN producer sat down and tried to work with him to reign in his worst excesses he even could have developed into a good commentator. OK, maybe that’s a stretch, but not a gigantic one.

The point: I think the reaction to his dismissal, like that to his commentary itself, is a bit overblown.

Latest Posts
  1. Dallas Keuchel is done for the season

Sep 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT

dallas keuchel getty Getty Images

Astros pitching coach Brent Strom announced Sunday that ace left-hander Dallas Keuchel won’t make another start this season.

2. Carlos Beltran may not play again this year

Sep 21, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

Carlos Beltran Getty Getty Images

It’s been a lost season for the Yankees’ outfielder.

3. Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past

Sep 21, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

red sox logo

A far more recent past than most people will admit.

4. Ryan Zimmerman hits an RBI triple in his return to the Nationals lineup

Sep 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Ryan Zimmerman AP AP

His presence will give the Nats a ton of flexibility down the stretch.

5. Video: Yasiel Puig made a spectacular diving catch

Sep 21, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT

Puig Dive

Like we always say: he giveth and he taketh away. Yesterday he gaveth.

6. Matt Garza: if you think I was trying to hit McCutchen, “you’re just an idiot”

Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Matt Garza AP

He said it rather than tweeted it. Which is sad, because I had good money on it coming out “your just an idiot” if he had tweeted it.

7. The Padres are going to keep Bud Black as their manager for 2015

Sep 21, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

Bud Black Getty Getty Images

Bud Black will be back for year nine at the helm of the Padres.

8. Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Sep 21, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 8.03.08 AM AP

The Royals are not doing too well in the biggest series to hit Kansas City in 29 years.

9. Video: Umpires review, uphold Nick Franklin homer that hit the “C” ring at Tropicana Field

Sep 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT

Nick Franklin Nick Franklin

Nick Franklin hit the “C” ring catwalk at Tropicana Field with a deep fly ball to right field, which was initially ruled a home run. Replay review confirmed the ruling.

10. Scrambling Dodgers to give Jamey Wright a start on Sunday

Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Jamey Wright Jamey Wright

The pitching-light Dodgers will have Jamey Wright make his second start in the last seven years on Sunday against the Cubs.

11. Jerome Williams becomes first to beat one opponent with three different teams in the same season

Sep 20, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Jerome Williams Jerome Williams

Jerome Williams continued to pitch well for the Phillies, even notching a baseball first in the process of defeating the Athletics on Saturday.

12. Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time

Sep 20, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

Matt Garza Matt Garza

Matt Garza doesn’t hit many batters, but the right-hander managed to hit Andrew McCutchen twice in his start on Saturday.

13. Mark Teixeira left Saturday’s game with soreness in his right wrist

Sep 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT

Mark Teixeira Mark Teixeira

Mark Teixeira’s wrist injury flared up again, forcing him out of Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays in the fifth inning.

14. Josh Hamilton has needed 12 cortisone injections in the last two weeks

Sep 20, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton has received a lot of pain-killing injections lately, as the veteran has battled shoulder and rib cage problems over the last two weeks.

15. Jason Kipnis considered day-to-day with hamstring issue

Sep 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Jason Kipnis Getty Images

Jason Kipnis is listed as day-to-day with a sore right hamstring.

16. Glen Perkins has learned his lesson about pitching through an injury

Sep 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

Glen Perkins Glen Perkins

Glen Perkins tried to tough out an injury and it didn’t go so well, but he seems to have learned his lesson.

17. Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals

Sep 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT

Hunter AP AP

This was a day of missed opportunities for the Royals.

18. Nationals activate Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list

Sep 20, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT

Ryan Zimmerman AP AP

Zimmerman has been sidelined since July 22 due to a Grade 3 strain of his right hamstring.

19. The Braves could shake things up in their baseball operations department

Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT

braves logo large

The Braves have wilted down the stretch and it appears that some changes could be in store for their front office following the season.

20. The Yankees will open the gates early for their final home series next week

Sep 20, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

With Derek Jeter’s career coming to an end, the Yankees will open the gates early next week for their final home series of the season.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2961)