The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The Atlanta Braves

Nov 9, 2010, 12:02 PM EST

Braves Padres Baseball

We continue our trek through the NL East’s best unis. Next up: the Bravos:

The Best: Let us first specify that the Braves’ use of Native American iconography is problematic. Yes, the uniforms look good, but that tomahawk, while nothing as offensive as Chief Wahoo, does present a bit of a problem for me. Not one that I think should lead to boycotts or petition drives, but it’s something with which I’ll never be 100% comfortable.  All of that said,  the current home jerseys — which are much like the classic 1946-67 Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta uniforms, minus the big Indian head on the sleeve — are easily the best of the bunch. Of course, the Braves have gone and messed with a good thing quite a bit in recent years, adding in an alternate road uniform that looks like batting practice stuff, and that home Sunday red jersey that — thanks to our last image of it in 2010 — should be burned and never seen again. Well, it was awful before Brooks Conrad too, but he just adds to it.
The Worst: Man, the Braves have had some awful uniforms in their history. The 1929 numbers were notable for having a giant Indian head on the back instead of a number. The 1936-40 uniforms have an excuse for being ugly — the Braves had renamed themselves the “Bees” and adopted yellow accents. Many people hate the mid-70s getups, but I kind of like them. A bit of a dead end, sure, but at least they were trying something new and, God knows, there were teams who did way worse in that decade.  Ultimately, though, the early-to-mid 80s look is the worst in my mind. Not because they’re terrible, but because they are so bland and uninspired.
Assessment: There is nowhere else to go with any historical basis that’s worth a damn if the Braves want to change things up, so if they ditch the current duds, they need to go off in a new direction.  I don’t think they will, though.  Those tweaks aside, they’ve kept with the classic look for nearly a quarter century now, so it’s probably here to stay.  Just go back to the gray roadies and ditch the red alternates. Please? Pretty please?
  1. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Well, if the tomahawk is problematic, what do we do about the upcoming Native American Extermination Day, what with the turkey representing the gullible aboriginals who first welcomed us ashore, the cranberry sauce which represents the blood that ran when we thanked them for their hospitality by slaughtering them, the stuffing representing how we herded and packed them into Buddhaforsaken nowheres to get our hands on their land and resources, and the brandy in the eggnog to symbolize the horrifying rates of alcoholism and drug abuse that resulted from the destruction of their cultures and psychological, emotional and spiritual support systems, and the leftovers that symbolize the relict population of a few million out of the estimated fifteen to eighteen million that were here when our illustrious European ancestors arrived? What do we do about it? Why, we make a national holiday out of it, of course.

Not that this has anything to do with anything except that every so often when I’m stuck in traffic I imagine Jane Fonda, that champion of all things politically correct (at the time), performing that idiotic tomahawk chop next to the husband who finally got bored with her the way the rest of us did.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM

DUDE!!! don’t mess with my favorite holiday dammit!!! I love thanksgiving. It’s the best holiday EVER! Ok, the premise behind it is very misguided and probably created to cover all the facts above, but that doesn’t mean I can’t eat what i damn well please then be begged to eat more without a shred of guilt. Thank god my grandparents came over on a boat that was deisel powered therefore had no impact on that atrocity. It’s a crying shame actually. Hey Gator, I get to go see one of your peers tonight. Roger Waters is doing “the Wall” That should be enough to wipe what you reminded me out of my memory and allow me to enjoy my favorite holiday this year…

Jane Fonda would have been shot if she were a citizen of China……….. And they wear terrible uniforms…..

Oh yeah, the Braves….. The latest is very nice, and probably the best. I wonder if people were rating things just like this back in the 80’s???? “This new uniform is just great, spiffy even.”

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM

My Thanksgiving plans: give at least one white man a cold and then ravage the carcass of the aforementioned poultry item, ensuring a clean conscience and dirty bathroom.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM

“then ravage the carcass of the aforementioned poultry item”

Jane Fonda? You’d be doing her a service at this juncture in her life. It would also more than likely dirty your bathroom.

I thought you were one of those Eye talians who covet Christopher Columbus???

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM

That dirty bastard sailed for Spain so he can suck it.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Ha!!! Isn’t that the truth…. most italians act as if he’s gods gift to man. You are the pleasant exception to that rule.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM

J5: thanksgiving was traumatic for me. I got dragged to this or that uncle’s house every year so that we could stuff our faces but then the whole family went down to the den to watch football, which at the time interested me about as much as the plumbing did.

Fortunately, Metromedia Channel 5 came to my rescue, running King Kong, Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young back to back to back – six hours of Willis O’Brien and Ray Harryhausen giant ape movies, films in which giant apes actually behaved like giant apes instead instead of linebackers. I will need to become a bodhisattva before I forgive Disney for that execrable remake of Mighty Joe Young; I still watch the original every Native American Extermination Day because (a) the giant ape is a symbol of what we used to call subalterity in grad school and (b) because I love to watch the riot scene in the night club.

2. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I’m with you, Craig. Love those mid-70’s unis.

• bobulated - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Love the mid-70’s unis too, my favorite personal Bravos cap is a 74 replica.

3. mvd513 - Nov 12, 2010 at 3:18 AM

The 70s jerseys are great and I dont really get the dislike for colored uniforms, I like the red and blue alts a lot. Everyone wears white, its so boring.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester