The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The New York Mets

Nov 9, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

Seaver Mets

The Best: The Mets have stayed pretty steady over the years.  The biggest change has been the introduction of black a few years ago (more on that below) and disappearing pinstripes. Otherwise, it has been a pretty classic design.  Inspired, even, taking some elements from the Yankees (pinstripes), some from the Dodgers (blue) and some from the Giants (orange).  As the only team whose very existence can be explained as a reaction to that which other teams did, this is rather appropriate. My favorite — and I bet the favorites of every Mets fan over the age of 12 — is the classic, Seaver-era look, closely tracked by the new alternate/retro home uniform.

The Worst: They’ve never been horrendous — kudos to the Mets for keeping their heads about them through the 1970s — but one of the worst things they ever did was to go wacky with the black caps and alternate jerseys they introduced a few years ago.  Less offensive are the solid home whites, but they’re still sub-optimal, as this is one of the few teams who should be pinstriped. And the less said about those blue things from the 80s the better.  But while the blues may look terrible, I’ll go with the blacks being the actual worst. Why? Because they were obviously calculated to sell product whereas those blues were just the Mets getting on the multi-color 70s bus a bit later than everyone else.  We’re all allowed an occasional transgression, right?

Assessment: There should be a law against the Mets wearing anything but the classic blue, white, and orange getup, preferably with the pinstripes.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Did the mets ever do the sleaveless thing? I thought I recalled them from a couple years ago, but perhaps I’m confusing w/ the Buccos? Sleaveless is the worst, unless you are a b-baller.

2. The Rabbit - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

“I’ll go with the blacks being the actual worst. Why? Because they were obviously calculated to sell product”

Isn’t that the primary reason that every team changes its uniforms (particularly if it looks good) or am I being cynical?

3. fightoffyourdemons - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Agreed on all counts. Blue hats forever.

4. metschick - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Yes, I HAAATE the black unis, but I megaloathe those black caps with blue brims. Either all black or all blue, DO NOT MIX.

Sorry, I just hate those hats that much.

5. sdelmonte - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hard to argue with this assessment, though I will note that the Mets are forever tinkering with things.

The black caps are based on the idea that businessmen who attend after work will somehow feel more comfortable wearing black caps that almost match their suits than the old blue. I have no idea if this is the case.

I know I will be drummed out of Mets fandom, but I always liked the white caps they wore very briefly in the 90s. It was the cap I owned for several years. It didn’t get so darned hot under the summer sun, even if it got dirty faster. (My current cap is a tan one I found cheap at Target. I should be ashamed of myself for not wearing an actual field style, but I am a tightwad.)

Waiting to see what you do for the Yankees. “Worst uniform” requires something besides the classic pinstripes and classic road gray, and I don’t think that exists.

6. Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I can’t complain about Mets uniforms at all. Besides the stupid Domino’s pizza box on the sleeves!

7. Eric Solomon - Nov 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM

That is a SWEET photo of George Foster. Thanks!

8. sethuel - Nov 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Maybe you’re not counting it because it was spring training, but I think the early 2000s orange uni (seen here abreast Joe McEwing’s gritty grittitude: http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/mcewing227.jpg) bears mention. Sure, they never wore it during regular season games, but it was *so* ugly that I think it gets an honorable mention at least.

9. teenchy - Nov 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Excuse me? How then do you explain the creation of the franchise now known as the Texas Rangers?

10. mvd513 - Nov 12, 2010 at 3:23 AM

um, nope. Black.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3698)