Nov 9, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The Best: The Mets have stayed pretty steady over the years. The biggest change has been the introduction of black a few years ago (more on that below) and disappearing pinstripes. Otherwise, it has been a pretty classic design. Inspired, even, taking some elements from the Yankees (pinstripes), some from the Dodgers (blue) and some from the Giants (orange). As the only team whose very existence can be explained as a reaction to that which other teams did, this is rather appropriate. My favorite — and I bet the favorites of every Mets fan over the age of 12 — is the classic, Seaver-era look, closely tracked by the new alternate/retro home uniform.
The Worst: They’ve never been horrendous — kudos to the Mets for keeping their heads about them through the 1970s — but one of the worst things they ever did was to go wacky with the black caps and alternate jerseys they introduced a few years ago. Less offensive are the solid home whites, but they’re still sub-optimal, as this is one of the few teams who should be pinstriped. And the less said about those blue things from the 80s the better. But while the blues may look terrible, I’ll go with the blacks being the actual worst. Why? Because they were obviously calculated to sell product whereas those blues were just the Mets getting on the multi-color 70s bus a bit later than everyone else. We’re all allowed an occasional transgression, right?
Assessment: There should be a law against the Mets wearing anything but the classic blue, white, and orange getup, preferably with the pinstripes.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 3
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)