Nov 9, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
The Best: The Mets have stayed pretty steady over the years. The biggest change has been the introduction of black a few years ago (more on that below) and disappearing pinstripes. Otherwise, it has been a pretty classic design. Inspired, even, taking some elements from the Yankees (pinstripes), some from the Dodgers (blue) and some from the Giants (orange). As the only team whose very existence can be explained as a reaction to that which other teams did, this is rather appropriate. My favorite — and I bet the favorites of every Mets fan over the age of 12 — is the classic, Seaver-era look, closely tracked by the new alternate/retro home uniform.
The Worst: They’ve never been horrendous — kudos to the Mets for keeping their heads about them through the 1970s — but one of the worst things they ever did was to go wacky with the black caps and alternate jerseys they introduced a few years ago. Less offensive are the solid home whites, but they’re still sub-optimal, as this is one of the few teams who should be pinstriped. And the less said about those blue things from the 80s the better. But while the blues may look terrible, I’ll go with the blacks being the actual worst. Why? Because they were obviously calculated to sell product whereas those blues were just the Mets getting on the multi-color 70s bus a bit later than everyone else. We’re all allowed an occasional transgression, right?
Assessment: There should be a law against the Mets wearing anything but the classic blue, white, and orange getup, preferably with the pinstripes.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)