Nov 9, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The Best: The Mets have stayed pretty steady over the years. The biggest change has been the introduction of black a few years ago (more on that below) and disappearing pinstripes. Otherwise, it has been a pretty classic design. Inspired, even, taking some elements from the Yankees (pinstripes), some from the Dodgers (blue) and some from the Giants (orange). As the only team whose very existence can be explained as a reaction to that which other teams did, this is rather appropriate. My favorite — and I bet the favorites of every Mets fan over the age of 12 — is the classic, Seaver-era look, closely tracked by the new alternate/retro home uniform.
The Worst: They’ve never been horrendous — kudos to the Mets for keeping their heads about them through the 1970s — but one of the worst things they ever did was to go wacky with the black caps and alternate jerseys they introduced a few years ago. Less offensive are the solid home whites, but they’re still sub-optimal, as this is one of the few teams who should be pinstriped. And the less said about those blue things from the 80s the better. But while the blues may look terrible, I’ll go with the blacks being the actual worst. Why? Because they were obviously calculated to sell product whereas those blues were just the Mets getting on the multi-color 70s bus a bit later than everyone else. We’re all allowed an occasional transgression, right?
Assessment: There should be a law against the Mets wearing anything but the classic blue, white, and orange getup, preferably with the pinstripes.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 19
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 9
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)