The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The Philadelphia Phillies

Nov 9, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT

Phillies blue uniform

A couple of years ago I wrote a couple posts at my old Shysterball blog running down what — in my opinion anyway — were the best and worst all-time looks for each team.  It was pretty popular as far as my old Blogspot posts were concerned, so I figure that, in the absence of any fun news, it was worth dusting off the idea and doing it again.

The only difference: attention spans have gotten way shorter since the ancient days of 2008, so I’ll be taking it team by team, rolling this baby out over the next few days.  First up: the NL East, starting with the World Series champion — er, what’s that?  Wait, they had Hallday, Hamels and Oswalt! What happened?  Wow, you just never know in this game, do ya! — N.L. East Champion Philadelphia Phillies!

The Best: Thanks to recent success, their current look — or the Whiz Kid look — is probably considered the classic.  I like it, but I like it when they mix in the blue on Sundays too. I may even like it better and if you put a gun to my head I’d say that the current alternates are their best look, even if it’s somewhat jarring, historically speaking. Along those lines, my mind hasn’t changed on these underrated 1930-40s numbers with the blue accents. It helps that Philly lost a hundred games year-in, year-out back when they wore those numbers, as everything is better about the Phillies when they’re losing.

The Worst: I never liked the big-P stuff they wore in the 1970s and 80s. The 1979 numbers — with the alternate all reds – were pretty terrible themselves.

Assessment:  The Phillies have landed on a good, classic look and will likely stick with it for a good long time.  To the extent they’ve gotten crazy over the years it’s just because they’ve had a really spotted history and, hey, why not experiment?  And at least their unfortunate 70s look — which almost every team had — was accompanied by a lot of good play on the field, and that takes the edge off of such things.

1. Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

OH, MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Teke!!!

2. mattjg - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

The all reds take the cake for worst uniforms in Phillies history. I think second worst would be the gray uniforms in the “big P” era.

I thought the blue uniforms were hideous at the time, but looking back at them I really like them. I wish they’d trot out the old maroon uniforms (either white pinstriped or blue) occasionally.

• BC - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Agree. The all-reds look like pajamas.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Man it’s safe to say the Phills “worst” isn’t all that bad compared to many others. Although I do realize those big P uniforms weren’t pretty, and are tacky, I can’t help but Love them. I was born at a time where this was what they wore, it’s burned into my memory, and i love them, I can’t help it. Plus Schmitty wore them and for that they’re an icon to me. I put Schmitty’s jersey on my christmas list. I also am buying myself a road jersey. Probably going to be a Ruiz.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Did you tell Panda Claus? I want a home-day alternate—guess who?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Utley? Ruiz? Actually I meant to say home alternate Jersey, Not road. They’re super nice looking.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I just got my “other ” christmas present a few minutes ago. Roger Waters “the Wall” for tonight. I am soooo effing amped!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Actually, I wouldn’t mind a Chooch one, but one can never go wrong with Utley—he’s pretty dreamy.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Utley is my favorite Philly. Has been for a loong time now. And yes, he’s very dreamy…….. But i already have his home pinstripe Jersey. My kid is all over Utley and Howard. My wife is a Werth and Madson fan, you can guess why that is i’m sure…… I guess Chooch is next on my list because I’ve seen him come so far, I actually feel it when he has a great play, kinda like a “proud dad” feeling. Which is weird and I should keep it to myself…… :P

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Understood about Chooch—and I won’t tell anybody. ;)

But as for Mrs. 5, is she torn between werewolf and hairless?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM

In her opinion Hot (Werth) and Hotter (Madson)….. What does she know anyway… She married me afterall, who could ask for more?

4. Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Though the red unis were horrendously bad, the powder blue ones were pretty terrible, also. I like the most recent incarnation, but I agree with Craig about the unis from the 30s and 40s.

5. ramsbladdercup - Nov 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Can’t wait for the breakdown on the Yankees’ uniforms over the years. Although, I found that they do have different interlocking NYs… it’s mesmerizing:

6. dasher521 - Nov 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I never particularly cared for the 70’s / 80’s uniforms. My problem with them was that I was brought up with the Phils wearing red. Those “big P” uni’s weren’t red, they were burgundy. Everyone knows burgundy is a wine, not a color. The powder blue “roadies”, always dislike them. I’m pleased with the current uniforms. The one thing they can to is go total old school and remove the players names from the backs.

7. bigbgoutes - Nov 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I think they only wore the burgundy unis once. Universal dislike. I am really glad that the Phils have never gone to the softball looking dark jerseys. The Phils unis are classically good. All three. The 1970-80’s maroon pinstripe with the big P is special. The Phils won the WS in 1980 in those unis, so all true Phils fans love them.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 9, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Just because they won the World Series in them does not mean that all “true” Phils Phans have to love the uniform they wore then—I am a dyed-in-the-wool, red-blooded Phightins Phan, and I don’t particularly care for those unis, even though my formative years were spent watching those unis.

Besides, they won the WS and have been to as many Classics in the current ones as they did in the old ones.

8. schmedley69 - Nov 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM

They only wore the all-burgundy numbers just one time, thankfully. Larry Christensen wore that version to the closing ceremony at The Vet. I love the old powder blues.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS