The Indians unveil a new uniform, and it is good

Nov 9, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT

Indians new uniforms

The Cleveland Indians have unveiled a new road uniform, and I think it’s pretty spiffy.  A gray version of that sweet home alternate they’ve been wearing for the past couple of years.  The block lettering and the colors — that deep red and dark blue combo — looks classic without being consciously retro.  Just a humdinger of a uniform in my view.

Only complaints: they’re taking the navy block C cap they’ve been wearing with the home alternates and making it the road alternate cap and are introducing a red home alternate version.  While there’s a neat St. Louis Cardinals road navy vibe to it all, I think the red cap looks too much like some fashion color cap you’d see at Lids or something.  I’d keep the navy block C for both versions.

Oh, and I’d make both alternate versions the full-time uniform, because they’re approximately 100 times cooler than the regular uniforms they’re keeping.  Those things look so 90s now. Like pleated khaki pants and three-button suits.  Oh well. Maybe they’re just doing a slow transition to the alternates over time and the script-lettering unis will be gone next year.

By the way: a couple of years ago over at my old Shysterball site I ran down the best and worst uniforms each team has ever worn. It was probably the most popular post I ever did back in the day, and I think it’s time for a refresher.  It will take a bit of time to put it together, but I think I’ll drop that bad boy — probably on a division-by-division basis — sometime this week.

UPDATE:  Quick! Someone get Paul over at The DiaTribe a consulting fee for those new roadies!

1. Mr. Furious - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM

And please, save that god-awful thing on the left for BP and Spring Training.

• Lukehart80 - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Amen! Why do so many teams have those ugly 3rd uniforms, whether they’re black or blue, red or orange, they look cheap, tacky, batting-practicesque. The Giants’ home whites are fantastic, and there they are in a big playoff game wearing their hideous alternate look. Poor form.

2. Lukehart80 - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Yes, those alternate unis are GREAT. I’ve got the home white hanging in my closet right now, I might have to get myself that road gray. Craig, you’re dead-on about that red hat though, it’s an ugly lid and besides that, the Tribe’s hat should always be navy.

3. mangothefruit - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I don’t think any uni with Chief Wahoo on it can really be called ‘good’.

• Detroit Michael - Nov 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Exactly right.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Awesome. I so look forward to that future post. I guess this comes close to making up for the Indians 1974- 1978 uniforms? Almost guys.

5. akronbudz - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Craig, the new grays are going to be the primary road uniform. The blue ones are the alternate road uniform (thankfully).

6. BC - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM

7. willmose - Nov 9, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Uniforms make the team. For example, Mets’ uniforms always look like they are filled with clowns, the Cubbies’ with losers.

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I remember that Shysterball post. I nearly died laughing when I saw the White Sox in shorts.

9. dandaman27 - Nov 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Sorry but the gray unis are flat out fugly.. Like they dug up some old 20’s era Indian from under League Park..

The only other thing I see new is the red hats….the olde thing I do like nowadays is the creamish colored off whites as worn by SF last year and the 48 Indians.

I grew up with Chief Wahoo and my two American Indian friends have no problem with him. Just as I, an American Irish have no problem with the silly character Irishman that Notre Dame uses.

That block C is fugly and could be any of a 100+ pro or college teams

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3110)